Marking a cell based on times within a certain period

nathp

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
HI All

Hoping someone is able to help.

I have a column showing a date and time formula (pulled directly from an SQL report). The format is displayed as dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm. I want to add a comment in an adjacent cell based on any times that fall within the hours 01:00 to 05:00. This is irrespective of the date.

Honestly I have no idea how to even start so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

EDIT: I should add that the cell I am basing the comment on is a calculation formula based on another cell.

So the original cell for instance shows: 29/05/2023 13:05. Then a calculation is added to another cell referencing this cell as follows: =C3+0.16666666666 showing the result 29/05/2023 17:05 (this is a time zone calculation). It is this last cell that will be used to provide the comment in the adjacent cell based on the time conditions mentioned above.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
use this formula:
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(MOD(A1,1)>1/24,MOD(A1,1)<=5/24), "this is after 0100 and before or equal to 0500","")

It works because time is the decimal part of a date/time number. Dates are the integer part.

HTH

Upvote 1
Solution
Thanks for the quick reply but I couldnt get that to work sorry. I replaced A1 with C6 as per my sheet but stated a missing parenthesis?
Also what will the result be in the new cell?

Thanks

Upvote 0
If it says you've a missing parenthesis it means you've not copied the formula across correctly or deleted a bracket when changing A1 to C6. You need to carefully compare your formula with that given above. If the time is after 0100 and before or equal to 0500 the response will say "this is after 0100 and before or equal to 0500"; if you need something different then simply amend the formula accordingly.

Upvote 0
1686563957082.png

Not sure what I'm missing but I think its copied correctly. It give me the same message even before editing the cell ref.

Attachments

• 1686563912019.png
    1686563912019.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
you've only put in half the formula which is why its missing a parenthesis. you need the complete formula, not just the bit up to the first comma which is what you're showing above:

Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(MOD(C6,1)>1/24,MOD(C6,1)<=5/24), "this is after 0100 and before or equal to 0500","")

Upvote 0
Sorry - I thought that was just an explanation.

Thanks for the persistence and help.

Upvote 0
no problem. If you don't know, you don't know! Hopefully this has been a bit helpful - don't be afraid to play with the formula to see what you can do with it.

If you're happy with the solution please mark it as such.

Regards

Upvote 0
HI Peter.

One last issue.

Having implemented the formula I am getting one result showing as positive even though it does not fall between the specified times. I tried changing the 5/24 to 8/24 or 2/24 to test but still it shows a positive result.

The formula has been copied in to all of column L in the following screenshot.

1686565114263.png

(Bet your glad you replied now)

Attachments

• 1686565077372.png
    1686565077372.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Ignore it I have seen the mistake - I was referencing the wrong cell.

Thanks for your help, Solution marked as such

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back