Matching in a table AND referencing other worksheets.

hawaean

I'm new here and it may be a little more difficult since I'm not able to attach the subject workbook.

I'd like to simplify my formulas if possible.

The workbook is a real estate tool to plan out investments. On my main tab/sheet, I have a simple table of years 0 - 10 and a list of purchases, which are generically named "Prop (1)", "Prop (2)", etc. Within the table, I plot out the plan using representing letters: P= purchase, R= rent, S=sell. I can elaborate on this if it helps.

Below this table, I have interactive valuations of the different scenarios that I plot, which correspond to the year columns. The row categories include cash flow, profit/loss, asset (value), liability (loans), equity (asset-liability) and cash-on-hand.

cSq916huC.png

Here's where it gets tricky. I have sheets that correspond to each potential investment and they are named accordingly: Prop (1), Prop (2), etc. On each sheet, I have data, including purchase breakdown, rental income/expense, and future resale.

Hopefully, this all makes sense so far. The way it's currently set up, here's my formulas for each summary set:

Profit/Loss: =IF(C2="P",-'PROP (1)'!$B$18,IF(C2="R",'PROP (1)'!$B$10,IF(C2="S",'PROP (1)'!$B$21,0)))+IF(C3="P",-'PROP (2)'!$B$18,IF(C3="R",'PROP (2)'!$B$10,IF(C3="S",'PROP (2)'!$B$21,0)))+IF(C4="P",-'PROP (3)'!$B$18,IF(C4="R",'PROP (3)'!$B$10,IF(C4="S",'PROP (3)'!$B$21,0)))

Cash Flow: =IF(C$2="",0,'PROP (1)'!$B10)+IF(C$3="",0,'PROP (2)'!$B10)+IF(C$4="",0,'PROP (3)'!$B10)

Asset: =IF(C2="",0,FV('PROP (1)'!$C$21,COUNTA(C$2:$C2)-1,0,-'PROP (1)'!$B$13,1))+IF(C3="",0,FV('PROP (2)'!$C$21,COUNTA(C$3:$C3)-1,0,-'PROP (2)'!$B$13,1))+IF(C4="",0,FV('PROP (3)'!$C$21,COUNTA(C$4:$C4)-1,0,-'PROP (3)'!$B$13,1))

Liability: =IF(C2="",0,FV('PROP (1)'!$C$3/12,(COUNTA($C$2:C2)-1)*12,'PROP (1)'!$B$3,-'PROP (1)'!$B$17))+IF(C3="",0,FV('PROP (2)'!$C$3/12,(COUNTA($C$2:C2)-1)*12,'PROP (2)'!$B$3,-'PROP (2)'!$B$17))+IF(C4="",0,FV('PROP (3)'!$C$3/12,(COUNTA($C$2:C2)-1)*12,'PROP (3)'!$B$3,-'PROP (3)'!$B$17))

Here's a sample property sheet:

cSFywZsi5.png

On the main worksheet, the formulas are repeated for each "investment". I'd like to have an array or index/match or sumproduct formula that can check the column 'A' names and pull the data from the corresponding "Prop (x)" sheets. The formula doesn't need to be able to check the actual sheet names, as I'm fine with manually added the sheetname in cell A1 for each case.

Note: You'll notice the Asset and Liability equations include the future value (FV) formula. I combined this with the COUNTA to project value over time. The mortgage balance in year 5 will not be the starting value.

The reason for my request is if I add Prop (4), or let's say 6 more investments, it's not practical to add the repeating formulas for every sheet. Plus, my formulas are unwieldy and I'm sure there's a better way to put this together.

Thanks all.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back