Matching positive and negative values

Ressa91

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone

I've been given a task where I need to reconcile accounts to find the imbalances. I need to match "pair" positive and negative values that adds up to zero.

I'm looking for a formula that will highlight and move the matches to another sheet, so that I'm only left with duplicates or values that doesn't add up to zero.

See example below

1712052649844.png

Is this something someone here can help me with if possible? The data set is huge and doing manually is time consuming.

Appreciative of the feedback!
Thank you,

1. So, you're trying to match the numbers only within the same group, based on the value in column B?
  2. How many rows of data are there at maximum in one group?
  3. In your example in post 1, the records for 1-May-2021 in col B are actually different. How is the code supposed to know that they are meant to be grouped together?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
  1. So, you're trying to match the numbers only within the same group, based on the value in column B?
  2. How many rows of data are there at maximum in one group?
  3. In your example in post 1, the records for 1-May-2021 in col B are actually different. How is the code supposed to know that they are meant to be grouped together?
The data I'm working with are journal entries (If you look at column C which is a Balancing Entity(0140) and Column D is Related Party(0142)). So in order for the books to balance an opposite entry is created which brings me to a zero balance, so I'm looking for a formula or code that can match the positive and negative "Identical" values that adds up to zero like the example for 1-May-2021 figures are identical so column B doesn't have to be exactly identical given the explanation above.

I'm also looking for a formula or code that combines 2 or more positive values that adds up to a negative total which together would give me zero
see example below
1712091843939.png

Upvote 0
1. So, is the group actually relevant only for finding a match of one number against multiple numbers?
2. You didn't my answer question no 2:
How many rows of data are there at maximum in one group?

Upvote 0
1. So, is the group actually relevant only for finding a match of one number against multiple numbers?
2. You didn't my answer question no 2:
How many rows of data are there at maximum in one group?
yes that's correct

there are about 2232 maximum data in a group

Upvote 0
there are about 2232 maximum data in a group
I was hoping you would say something like "no more than 10".;)
Trying to find a match of one number against multiple numbers (that returns zero) requires checking all combination one by one until we find a match. To do that on thousands of data could crash Excel.
So, I'm sorry couldn't help you with this. Hope others could help you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back