Matching two columns to two columns in different sheets and returning a third column result

corinaas

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, Hoping to match column A and column B in "2021" sheet to same combination of column A and column B in "Sheet 1" using a range and if yes, return column C (aka "Rev") result from "Sheet 1" in equation cell in "2021".

I've tried the following but it says I have too many equations - =VLOOKUP(A4:B4,Sheet1!A9:C904,MATCH,"Rev"(Sheet1!$A$9:$C$904,0))

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Corina

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I think I could answer this, but I need the data behind it. Even an example spreadsheet showing your intent.

Just a little education:
VLOOKUP(A4:B4,Sheet1!A9:C904,MATCH,"Rev"(Sheet1!$A$9:$C$904,0))
In a vlookup the first condition has to be a single cell. You're asking it to compare a range from A4:B4. That's more index/match kind of stuff, and why you're getting the error. Well, one reason.

Upvote 0
I think I could answer this, but I need the data behind it. Even an example spreadsheet showing your intent.

Just a little education:
Excel Formula:
VLOOKUP(A4:B4,Sheet1!A9:C904,MATCH,"Rev"(Sheet1!$A$9:$C$904,0))
In a vlookup the first condition has to be a single cell. You're asking it to compare a range from A4:B4. That's more index/match kind of stuff, and why you're getting the error. Well, one reason.
Hi Orange Yoda! Thank you so much for replying. I'm attaching an excel for reference.
Green cell - where we want to equation/results
Yellow cells - combination of of A5:B5 data found on the next sheet and if yes, return the "Rev" column information.
2021 Sheet:
1663964877371.png

Sheet 2
If yellow two columns match the same yellow columns in 2021 sheet, put corresponding data from column C on the first page sheet in the green column.
1663965026602.png

Appreciate your help!
Corina

Upvote 0
I can think of a few more complex ways, but I think this simple formula will do it for you.

1663965397896.png
1663965425771.png

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention. The last "" could be filled with anything. I prefer my data clean so I leave NA results blank. If you like you could put "SOMETHING WRONG HERE". Anything you like between the " "

Upvote 0
This is SO CLOSE!!! For the Sheet (second tab) we want it to look at the full table range. The info is in the same columns (A and B) but for the look up we don't want it to be a static line.

This is what we tried but it's not doing the range for the second sheet - any advice?

=IF(AND(A4=Sheet1!$A$10,'2021'!B4=Sheet1!$B$10),Sheet1!$C$10,"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back