Memory management

SueKi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi! I have a large database of inventory history - at 213k lines right now - that I have a bunch of pivots and tables set up to analyze and report. It's getting very bogged down. Not sure it it's Excel or my work pc, very much suspect the latter since Excel should handle a lot more lines of data than I have.

If I take the tab with all the data, and move it to a new book, will that help? It should automatically link everything, I think, but will that actually help the problem, or will it add to it having to work across workbooks? I'm a bit nervous about the 'just try it' method. Finally all set up and reluctant to mess it up if the change causes a crash.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Excel should handle a lot more lines of data than I have.
It certainly has the size capacity, but why do you believe that the slow performance indicates something is wrong? I don't know the details of your file but calculations on 213K rows of data are not especially fast, even if a worksheet can hold over a million rows. And pivot tables can be slow for large values of "bunch".

Did you notice a sudden drop in performance, or has it been gradual as your data has grown?

Upvote 0
It certainly has the size capacity, but why do you believe that the slow performance indicates something is wrong? I don't know the details of your file but calculations on 213K rows of data are not especially fast, even if a worksheet can hold over a million rows. And pivot tables can be slow for large values of "bunch".

Did you notice a sudden drop in performance, or has it been gradual as your data has grown?
I had to change data sources and new file with 2021 to YTD 2022 in it, my old file had 2020 to YTD 2022 - a full years additional date and had less performance/response time issues. What concerns me the file constantly getting held with a message 'Excel has stopped working'. So far it eventually clears, but with less data I'm not sure why it's happening and I worry about the file corrupting. Maybe I do expect too much.....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back