Missing Columns Error Power Query

thedeadzeds

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys,

Please can you help with the below. When I import the data sometimes some of the columns will be missing from the original dataset. This is ok because I only need certain column but how do I ingore the missing column error?

Thanks

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Export.xlsx"), null, true),
    Export_Sheet = Source{[Item="Export",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Export_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Order Date", type datetime}, {"Handover Date", type datetime}, {"Invoice Date", type date}, {"Order No", Int64.Type}, {"Keyloop DMS Magic Number", type text}, {"Dealership", type text}, {"Customer Name", type text}, {"Customer Scheme", type any}, {"Sales Exec", type text}, {"Reg No", type text}, {"Make", type text}, {"Range", type text}, {"Model", type text}, {"Derivative", type text}, {"Vin Number", type any}, {"New/Used", type text}, {"Customer Type", type any}, {"Vehicle Without VAT", type number}, {"Vehicle", Int64.Type}, {"Factory Options", type number}, {"Front End", type any}, {"Front End Margin Adjustment   ", type any}, {"New Car Reg Bonus", type any}, {"Investor fund ", type any}, {"Bonus Box", type any}, {"Del Profit", type any}, {"Service Plan Income", type any}, {"Contract Hire Base", type any}, {"B/E Margin Adjustment ", type any}, {"Retailer", type any}, {"Incentives", Int64.Type}, {"Over Allowance", Int64.Type}, {"Finance Type", type any}, {"Finance Income", type number}, {"Total Profit", type number}, {"Deal Closed", type any}, {"Manufacturer Order No", type number}, {"Quality - Conquest Lead", type any}, {"Quality - Loyalty Lead ", type any}, {"Loyalty - Service Plans ", type any}, {"Volume - RPM", type any}, {"Total Bonus", type number}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Order Date", "Handover Date", "Invoice Date", "Order No", "Keyloop DMS Magic Number", "Dealership", "Customer Name", "Customer Scheme", "Sales Exec", "Reg No", "Make", "Range", "Model", "Derivative", "Vin Number", "New/Used", "Customer Type"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Do the type changing after your 'remove other columns' step, so that you only name the columns that are actually there.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I've tried that but I still get the error message missing columns.

Upvote 0
Did you remove the original Changed Type step?

Upvote 0
Hi, Yes the query now looks like this but I still get an error is there is a missing column

Power Query:
let
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Export_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{"Order Date", "Handover Date", "Invoice Date", "Order No", "Customer Name", "Customer Scheme", "Sales Exec", "Reg No", "Make", "Range", "Model", "Derivative", "Vin Number", "New/Used", "Customer Type"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Upvote 0
It would appear you are trying to select a column that doesn't exist in the source data. I had interpreted your original post as meaning that the columns that might be missing weren't required for your final return data - is that not the case?

Upvote 0
It would appear you are trying to select a column that doesn't exist in the source data. I had interpreted your original post as meaning that the columns that might be missing weren't required for your final return data - is that not the case?
Yes this is correct. I've managed to find 'MissingField.UseNull' which works great.

Power Query:
let
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{"Order Date", "Handover Date", "Invoice Date", "Order No", "Customer Name", "Customer Scheme", "Sales Exec", "Reg No", "Make", "Range", "Model", "Derivative", "Vin Number", "New/Used", "Customer Type"}, MissingField.UseNull)
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back