Month Number based on Week Number

Kevs_Lloren07

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Hope you are all doing well.

I would like to know if it is possible to customize the month number based on week number.

Our fiscal week starts on a Wednesday and ends on a Tuesday.

For example, December 30, 2020 until January 5, 2021 should be the week 1 and January 20 up to January 26, 2021 should be the week 4. These week number should be in " month 1 " then the week 5 should be " month 2 " already.

I've got the week number covered already, it's just the month number I can't figure out.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
What information do you have in the sheet as a reference point? If you have a date to produce the week number then it would be easier to get the month from the same date than it would to calculate from the week number.

For example, with a date in A1 this formula would provide the correct month number on the assumption that it should be based on the last day of the week (which is the only logical pattern that fits the information in your post).
Excel Formula:
=MONTH(CEILING(A1-3,7)+3)

Upvote 0
What information do you have in the sheet as a reference point? If you have a date to produce the week number then it would be easier to get the month from the same date than it would to calculate from the week number.

For example, with a date in A1 this formula would provide the correct month number on the assumption that it should be based on the last day of the week (which is the only logical pattern that fits the information in your post).
Excel Formula:
=MONTH(CEILING(A1-3,7)+3)
Hello @jasonb75,

Thanks for your response. I've attached an image of the sample data I have. Column B is the date and the Column C is the Week Number I set using the formula =WEEKNUM(B2,11). I would like to have the month number on the column D.

For week 18, the month number should be 5 already but some of them shows 4. Month number should've started from April 26.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
I think it's your week numbers that are incorrect. Week 18 should start on the April 28 based on the information in post 1.
Our fiscal week starts on a Wednesday and ends on a Tuesday
Your formula,
Rich (BB code):
=WEEKNUM(B2,11)
is for a week starting on Monday. You would need to use
Rich (BB code):
=WEEKNUM(B2,13)
for a Wednesday to Tuesday week.

The formula that I suggested will need a slight change though, because you have times as well as dates there could be some unwanted rounding up with the original formula which this will prevent.
Excel Formula:
=MONTH(CEILING(INT(A1)-3,7)+3)

Upvote 0
Yeah, my bad. It was for a different report. for the one I'm trying to create starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday.

Anyway, can you tell me the logic for this formula "=MONTH(CEILING(INT(A1)-3,7)+3)". I've applied it on the previous image I've attached. Some cell returns 4 and the others are 5.

I've changed it to "=MONTH(CEILING(INT(B2)-3,7)+3)"

Upvote 0
Ceiling rounds the date up to the end of the week, by default it would round to the next Saturday on, or after the date in the cell.

For any other day of the week you need to subtract the weekday, round up the remainder, then add the weekday back on afterwards. For a week ending Tuesday, you subtract 3, round up, then add 3.

For other days of the week, it would be 1 for Sunday, 2 for Monday, etc. Note that this is the end of the week, not the start.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back