MS Office vs MS for MAC for learning advanced Excel, Access, etc. if I have a MAC

goldhelmet25

I have an urgent need to upgrade my Excel skills, Access, and to a much lesser extent, Word, power point, etc....

The one computer I have is a 21.5" IMAC desktop, Mid 2011, Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 M, Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63).
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1E
SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

Hardware UUID:

So, bottom line, if I am serious about learning all aspects of EXCEL & Access, at a very high level, do I need to get a non-MAC PC? Some have mentioned that there are limitations with MS for MAC compared to MS Office, which is used by virtually everyone I know in my field - mainstream business world..

Please, enlighten me. I would hate to have to buy another computer, but, if I really need to, I will. As I said, I seriously need to upgrade my skills, especially in advanced level Excel, Pivot tables, Macros, and everything else, forwards, backwards, sideways, until it I know it like the back of my hand.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The interface must be different but I can't see the product does different things on different machines (Happy to be proved wrong). As for having access to a PC with a full office suite, it doesn't need to be game specified, so a low cost second hand / manaufacturer refurb on ebay, with a decent monitor and office suite should be affordable (my two penneth)

Upvote 0
There are things available on PC's that aren't on Mac. ActiveX controls and the Dictionary object to name just two.

But .... does that mean that you having a Mac will be a bad thing. A spreadsheet that runs on a Mac will always run on a PC. A spreadsheet that runs on a PC, might fail on a Mac. If you want to create iron clad spreadsheets that won't fail any user, Mac might be a better choice.

Upvote 0
There are things available on PC's that aren't on Mac. ActiveX controls and the Dictionary object to name just two.

But .... does that mean that you having a Mac will be a bad thing. A spreadsheet that runs on a Mac will always run on a PC. A spreadsheet that runs on a PC, might fail on a Mac. If you want to create iron clad spreadsheets that won't fail any user, Mac might be a better choice.

Here's my concern. EXCEL is all anyone uses in business, and in my field, that is all they want to know - do you know Excel, not the spreadsheet that is used for the MAC (I forget the name). I hear what you're saying, a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet, but if there are things that would run on a PC, that would fail, or run into complications on a MAC, well, that could be a big problem.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying anything about Numbers (the spreadsheet that comes with a Mac).

I'm saying that an Excel spreadsheet, written on a Mac, will run on any machine, but there are tools (like the ActiveX controls) that it won't have.
An Excel spreadsheet, written on a PC, might have features that will prevent it from running on a Mac.

("run on any machine" up to the point where file storage differences between Mac and PC interfere.)

As a developer, you will find that a spreadsheet written on a Mac is more universal than one written on a PC.
As a user, if you have a Mac, you might not be able to use (or modify or fix) a workbook written on a PC.

If any of your prospective clients have a Mac, you should have one.
If you are going to get real serious about creating Excel spreadsheets, you probably should own both a Mac and a PC.

Upvote 0
If any of your prospective clients have a Mac, you should have one.
If you are going to get real serious about creating Excel spreadsheets, you probably should own both a Mac and a PC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - this is an extremely helpful point. I would not get rid of my IMAC. I will keep it until it doesn't run anymore, which I hope is for many years. I don't have clients, as I am not in business for myself, but need to be fluid in advanced Excel, and also Access, for internal or external job interviews in the business world. I am 52, and now competing with 20-30 somethings where technology/computers were much more emphasized and a given for them growing up in different eras.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back