multi select list to table

ChristineMD

Board Regular
Working iwth catalog data - 24 catalogs per year, within each catalog there are up to 7 "offers" - so I have this huge long list of catalogs/offers that a user could selet any combination thereof to generate query/report

I have populated a multiselect list box on a form with all the catalog/offer info from a query - no problem. HAve the extended flag to true/yes. The form works.
Want to take selections from this multi select list box and load into a temp table that will be used to filter further queries/reports.

I've seen a lot of variations on this theme in my googling, but they seem way more involved for what I need. I think. I'm a VB noob. All the ones I've run across seem to have multiple list boxes on the form, or the results are going to a text string, etc. Can't find examples of exactly what I'm looking for.

Using access 2010

Results will be one field: "offer" but there will be multiple offers selected, want that list of offers loaded into a table.

I've seen murmurings that I need to be concerned with users unselecting items in the list? Is this true? The selections will be reset each time the form is loaded -the selections don't need to be saved from instance to instance if this makes sense. They're going to open the form, make selections, click a button which will create the temp table. Then they'll have another form to select a report/query to run which will already be joined to the temp table.

So looking for an example of loading mutli selects from a list box into a table.

I always get such great responses from this group, so I thank you in advance. Please let me know if further info is needed!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi,
I'm not sure of your setup exactly but you can script the updates from the values in your listbox(es). With a simple two-column listbox this is an example:

Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] Command2_Click()
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] s [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE * FROM TEMP;"
    [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Me.List0
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] i = 0 [COLOR="Navy"]To[/COLOR] .ListCount - 1
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] .Selected(i) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                s = "INSERT INTO TEMP (Category, Description) VALUES ("
                s = s & "'" & .Column(0, i) & "',"
                s = s & "'" & .Column(1, i) & "'"
                s = s & ");"
                DoCmd.RunSQL s
            [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] i
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR]
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True    
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]

note that I will "truncate" the temp table before updating it - you will want to have some such mechanism to "clear" the old data from previous runs when you are using a temp table.

Sample DB:
<a href="http://northernocean.net/etc/mrexcel/20120906_.zip">[Sample Database]</a>
sha256sum: f044b0b22d9a4f7baa917f645c7324f37e3dd47cecda02822312591ae5ba0eca

Upvote 0
I always get very confused with listboxes so be sure to read the help files in Access VBA as you go. There's usually three different ways to do everything, and a few pitfalls for the inexperienced - just be patient and post your troubles back here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back