Multiple embedded IF statements with VLOOKUPs not working

shawnrpg

I am trying to alter an existing formula that contains 10 IF statements with a couple VLOOKUPs. The formula currently works but I need to change it to do something slightly different, with significantly fewer IF statements.
The revised formula is:
=IF('Item Information'!$C$3="AIP SCRAP","Tooling has been scrapped! Can't Quote.",IF(M12<730,”AS9102 within 2 years, Layout not required”,IF('Item Information'!$C$10="Aluminum Hand Forgings",VLOOKUP('Item Information'!$C$10,'AS9102 Layout Charges'!$M$11:$N$28,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP('Item Information'!$C$5,'AS9102 Layout Charges'!M11:N28,2,FALSE)))

However, when I press Enter, I get a message box that reads 'There's a problem with this formula. Not trying to type a formula?... and wants me to either put an apostrophe at the beginning or correct it.
The only thing I did was replace 8 of the original IF statements with 1. The statement that I want to add is IF(M12<730,”AS9102 within 2 years, Layout not required”.
If I leave this portion out of the formula, the formula works just fine.

I tried the IF(M12<730,[value if true[,[value if false]) formula in its own cell and it calculates correctly.

I tried placing the IF(M12<730,”AS9102 within 2 years, Layout not required” portion in other locations in the formula but it still doesn't work.

Not sure why this specific IF statement isn't working in the formula.

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer,
Shawn

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Try replacing the "" around ”AS9102 within 2 years, Layout not required” , the ones in the formula look like italics

Upvote 0
Solution
I deleted the quotation marks and re-entered them and that fixed the problem; thanks. Something to do with the font of them (IDK)?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back