Need a bigger database than Access thats local

Mr930R

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a database that is a local file that is not constrained like 2GB for Access? I don't need a DBMS, I would just use the database as storage for my data and all calculations are performed elsewhere. . It would ideal if it had ODBC drivers to hit it. And don't even mention the cloud, thats a non-starter. I am thinking SQL Server might have a portable (lite) version, but I think it has changed over the years. Same issue with DB2, I can't find info on anything but the big DBMS and they are going cloud crazy on that.

Any info/ideas are appreciated.

Fred Emmerich

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
sqlite
  • Maximum Number Of Rows In A Table
    The theoretical maximum number of rows in a table is264 (18446744073709551616 or about 1.8e+19).This limit is unreachable since the maximum database size of 281 terabyteswill be reached first. A 281 terabytes database can hold no more thanapproximately 2e+13 rows, and then only if there are no indices and ifeach row contains very little data.
  • Maximum Database Size
    Every database consists of one or more "pages". Within a single database,every page is the same size, but different databases can have page sizesthat are powers of two between 512 and 65536, inclusive. The maximumsize of a database file is 4294967294 pages. At the maximum page sizeof 65536 bytes, this translates into a maximum database size of approximately 1.4e+14 bytes (281 terabytes, or 256 tebibytes, or281474 gigabytes or 256,000 gibibytes).

or use SQL Server Express
SQL Server Downloads | Microsoft

you can see at 7:36
it has the option to install LocalDB

but you could still install the regular express version (its a full dbms) but it would love on your pc

it would be no different that having having MS Access installed except you'd have to supply a user name and password to connect during odbc connection

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back