New Pivot Table User - Historic Snapshots to add to data?

wdjohnson1976

Hello, I will start with what I'm trying to do first. I'm bringing in data to a pivot table with offices and the count of employees in the office. When I bring in a new batch of data, I'd like to create a snapshot of the previous employee count and use that to show % increase/decrease since that last time I imported the data. Or % increase/decrease over a specified time.

I don't really want to keep the whole big dataset for each time period just the summary numbers as a series of snapshots. I'd like to be able to automate if possible keeping the old data summary. Maybe there's a button I can click to make an archive column. Or maybe something more automatic that when I paste the new data with a new date, the program bumps the old columns over and populates the current date column.

I'm not sure how to start thinking about this or what's possible. I'm a true beginner but want to learn more. I can "stone hammer and chisel" my way to it but knowing there has to be easier ways out there.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Office Counts.png
    Office Counts.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 3

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back