NPV negative cash flows issue

decafdave

Hey,

I am calculating NPV for a land buying project. However, all the cash flows until the end (when land is sold, hopefully for profit) are negative due to property taxes. My formula is as follows: NPV(B16,E29:AC29,MAX(E32:AC32))-B11

B16=discount rate
E29:AC29 are all possible property tax cash outflows-depending on length of the project it will end before AC29 or up to.
Max E32:AC32= land sold price-for this simplicistic initial model we are assuming continued appreciation or stabilization, no declines.
-B11= the initial outflow for purchase of land that must be added into the excel

I calculate it with my financial calculator and get a different answer. Anyone have an idea?

I would appreciate any help!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
decafdave
If B11 is your initial investment, or "IO", shouldn't that should be value1 in your NPV formula?

If

NPV = -IO + [CF1]/((1+r)^1 + ... [CFn]/(1+r)^T

For example r =12%
Assuming B11 is a negative value

Then

=NPV(12%,b11,E29:AC29,MAX(E32:AC32))

blucasade

Upvote 0
Oh thanks for the advice. I could slap myself now because I figured it out. I was treating the land sale as a cash inflow further than my last year and now that I have accounted for that everything's ok.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Upvote 0
decafdave
If B11 is your initial investment, or "IO", shouldn't that should be value1 in your NPV formula?

If

NPV = -IO + [CF1]/((1+r)^1 + ... [CFn]/(1+r)^T

For example r =12%
Assuming B11 is a negative value

Then

=NPV(12%,b11,E29:AC29,MAX(E32:AC32))

blucasade

Thanks for the reply Blucascade. Unfortunately Excel doesn't calculate it correctly when done in this manner I don't think. You have to take out the outflow separately. Double check with a financial calculator but I'm 99% certain I'm correct on this (excel beginner though I am).

Upvote 0
Ah yes, my mistake.

You could use:

=B11+NPV(12%,E29:AC29,MAX(E32:AC32))

Assuming B11 is a negative value and that AC29 does not relate to the same period as your terminal value of MAX(E32:AC32).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help F&s Analyst and Blucasade.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back