Numbering Columns with dates as names using Power Query

programsam

Board Regular
Greetings, a bit of a noob to PQ here.

I have a file that updates weekly and has the first day of every month in the header (screenshot below). I'd like to have Power Query parse the list of Column Names, look for the one's with dates in them and number them (starting from 12 all the way down to 1) since there's 12 months of data. The header names will change each month as a new month comes in and the old one falls off.

Sample of column header names.
1689156004512.png

Here's my attempt which is throwing a Token Literal Expected error with 'otherwise'.

VBA Code:
= Table.TransformColumnNames((#"Renamed Columns1"),each try Date.FromText(Table.ColumnNames((#"Renamed Columns1"){n}), otherwise _))

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Here is my shot at it
1689166579610.png

1689166972602.png

1689167046472.png

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type any}, {"Column2", type any}, {"Column3", type any}, {"Column4", type any}, {"Column5", type any}}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Changed Type"),
    #"Inserted Text Between Delimiters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Transposed Table", "Text Between Delimiters", each Text.BetweenDelimiters(Text.From([Column1], "en-IE"), "/", "/"), type text),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Inserted Text Between Delimiters",{"Text Between Delimiters", "Column1", "Column2", "Column3"}),
    #"Transposed Table1" = Table.Transpose(#"Reordered Columns"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"07", type any}, {"08", type any}, {"09", type any}, {"10", type any}, {"12", type any}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Upvote 0
Assuming there are always 12 months:

Power Query:
let
    DateHeaders = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each try Value.Is(Date.FromText(_), type date) otherwise false),
    ReplacementHeaders = List.Zip({DateHeaders, List.Transform(List.Reverse({1..12}), Text.From)}),
    Final = Table.RenameColumns(Source, ReplacementHeaders)
in
    Final

Upvote 0
Assuming there are always 12 months:

Power Query:
let
    DateHeaders = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each try Value.Is(Date.FromText(_), type date) otherwise false),
    ReplacementHeaders = List.Zip({DateHeaders, List.Transform(List.Reverse({1..12}), Text.From)}),
    Final = Table.RenameColumns(Source, ReplacementHeaders)
in
    Final
Hi Rory, is it possible on this to extrapolate the MonthName and Year and make that the column name? The best I've done thus far has returned the month name followed by "YYYY".

Example: What I want is the above columns to read month and year such as "JULY 2023" but what I'm getting with the code below is "JULY YYYY"). It's not returning a year value.

Excel Formula:
= Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers", each try Date.ToText(Date.From(_),"MMMM/YYYY") otherwise _)

Upvote 0
This is very similar to your other question and should be posted there.

Upvote 0
That's not actually what I asked, for future reference. It's a very minor tweak to your original month name question, so should have been added as a new post in that thread, not as a new thread. I'll leave it as is this time though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back