Numbers don't stay numbers after query

Gillis Beel

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Heyy,

I'm working on automating a system where we copy data from multiple excel workbooks into a overview workbook where we can analyse the data. The excel sheet are filled in by operators all over the factory using different versions of excel and the workbooks stay open on their pc's. At this moment we open the data these workbooks on our pc's and copy the data manually over in the overview. What i wanna do is automate this process. I thought about using excel querry (excel 2016) but i ran into a problem. After the query excel doesn't recognise the numbers as numbers anymore (shifted to the left of the cell). When I manually select a cell and press enter it changes to a number (shifted to the right of the cell). I didn't find any solution online except for adding a colomn for each colomn with numbers where you multiply with 1.
Has anybody any idea how to really solve this? My guess it has something to do with the open workbooks or with the fact they are from a different version of excel.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi,

In power query, change data type of that column to Decimal Number or Whole Number. This should work. If there is any text in that column, you will see error in that column.

Hope it will help.

Cheers!!!

Upvote 0
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. This solves indeed the problem for the numbers. But now I have another problem. There is also a column with dates in the table. The dates are converted to a number during the query. But when i try to change their data type to date format it gives an error. I can however change them to an number just the same as the other numbers. I can use it to calculated weeknumbers from it so in practice i got everything i need. But i would be handy that it shows a real date instead of a number. Any help here?

Upvote 0
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. This solves indeed the problem for the numbers. But now I have another problem. There is also a column with dates in the table. The dates are converted to a number during the query. But when i try to change their data type to date format it gives an error. I can however change them to an number just the same as the other numbers. I can use it to calculated weeknumbers from it so in practice i got everything i need. But i would be handy that it shows a real date instead of a number. Any help here?
Hi,

In excel check that data column, is it really a number that can be converted in date format? if not then power query will not convert it into date. Because some times there are some trailing spaces with numbers. In that case some transformation can be applied in power query like TRIM that column before change data type to date. If you could provide some data, let me have a look.

Cheers!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back