Odd formatting problem - font size issue for cells

Burrgogi

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got a nagging issue in one of my workbooks that I can't seem to pinpoint. I've got a very simple sheet with 5 columns like so:
1st col is website URL
2nd col is username
3rd col is the password
4th col email addressed used for registration
5th col is miscellaneous notes.

Whenever I go to insert a new row, let's say between row 4 & 5, the font size for column 4 keeps changing to 11 pt even though I've specified the font size should be 12 pt for the entire sheet. (Actually the header row is 13 pt). I don't know if this has something to do with the autoformat as Excel will automatically format the cell content as an email address hyperlink if you type in something@domain.com. I can certainly format the newly created cell with 12 pt - but it's rather a pain in the butt every time I update the sheet with new info.

I'm perplexed by this problem - any suggestions on how to stop this from happening? Just to clarify, i'm not asking how to change the automatic hyperlink format - I just want the cell contents to be 12 pt.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
may selected all rows even empty rows, excluding header row and format as you'd like? Hopefully that will do it.

Upvote 0
Just an update to this problem. My suspicion that this problem is to due autoformat was correct. Under Proofing > Autoformat As You Type, there's an option to turn off automatic hyperlink for internet and network paths. Once that was done, Excel no longer changed the font size and the cell content remain the same size as I had specified for the entire sheet or book.

Now the real question is to find out if this behavior can be modified. I'm somewhat perplexed by this because I don't recall this happening with previous versions of Excel 2007 and older. (Currently using 2010 version). Does anyone know the solution here? Is there a way to turn it off for just this particular workbook or does it have to be turned off globally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back