Offset the replacement

gordsky

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I know I could use a loop or FindNext to achieve this but wondering if there is anyway to do it in a one liner by modifying the below (or another way)

Obviously the below does exactly what I want if the replacement were required in ColB but is there anyway to offset the 'Replacement' to ColC

VBA Code:
Range("B:B").Replace What:="*WF", Replacement:="0", LookAt:=xlWhole

Basically if the value WF appears anywhere in colB then change the value of ColC to 0.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hello
Try this macro (only valid for the first 5 rows of column A)
Code:
Sub tryOne()
With Worksheets(1).Range("a1:a5")
    Set c = .Find("*WF*")
    If Not c Is Nothing Then
        Do
            c.Value = 0
            Set c = .FindNext(c)
        Loop While Not c Is Nothing
    End If
End With
End Sub

Hello,
Mario

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply but as per the post looking for a way to do this without a loop

Upvote 0
What do you want in column C ?
If you want column B replicated exept that WF is replaced by 0 then you could use an array with a substitute command.
Mind you, you could get this by just copying the whole of column B to C and doing the replace there, the array would just be a bit faster.

If you just want the WF's as zero in column C then you could filter on WF in column B, and then using xlCellTypeVisible to enter a 0 in column C for just those rows.

I don't believe there is a way of modifying the find and replace command do what you want to do.

Upvote 0
Sample data and expected results is usually helpful to understand exactly what you have and what you are trying to achieve.
(or another way)
Does this do what you want?
Assuming column C is not formulas.

VBA Code:
Sub ReplaceInC()
  With Range("C1", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    .Value = Evaluate(Replace("if(right(" & .Offset(, -1).Address & ",2)=""WF"",0,if(#="""","""",#))", "#", .Address))
  End With
End Sub

Before

gordsky.xlsm
BC
1a9
2bWF6
3c5
5eWF7
6f4
7WFg3
8h3
Sheet1

After

gordsky.xlsm
BC
1a9
2bWF0
3c5
5eWF0
6f4
7WFg3
8h3
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Solution
Peter_SSs - thank you so much this works perfectly. I wonder if I could as you to explain this bit of the code please
VBA Code:
if(#="""","""",#))", "#", .address)

Upvote 0
Peter_SSs - thank you so much this works perfectly. I wonder if I could as you to explain this bit of the code please
VBA Code:

Hello Gordsky,

You can't just look at that part of the expression, the Replace is integral to the section you are showing.

Put a breakpoint on that line and copy the below into the immediate window (including the "?")
VBA Code:
? Replace("if(right(" & .Offset(, -1).Address & ",2)=""WF"",0,if(#="""","""",#))", "#", .Address)

The idea is that the formula is being handed to Evaluate as a string but it needs certain parameters to be a variable.
To make that happen normally you need to break up the string into pieces so the variable can be inserted and then reassembled as a string eg as done in the Offset part of the string. To save doing this it is quite common to use a place holder for the variable in this case "#" and then use the Replace command to insert the variable into the string without needing to dissect it and reassemble it.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
That part is to ensure that if a value in column C is blank that it stays blank and does not become zero. For example, like cell C4 in my previous post.
It is like the difference between these two formulas.

gordsky.xlsm
BCD
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4C4=B4
D4D4=IF(B4="","",B4)

Upvote 0
That part is to ensure that if a value in column C is blank that it stays blank and does not become zero. For example, like cell C4 in my previous post.
It is like the difference between these two formulas.

gordsky.xlsm
BCD
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4C4=B4
D4D4=IF(B4="","",B4)
thankyou for the explanation, much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back