Optimal Hardware for Increased Calculation Speed

Celex005

I am using a workbook containing 18 worksheets which is 100MB in total. Although the file size isn't huge the worksheets contain many complex formulas which are heavily linked to other worksheets within the workbook making processing speed very slow. For example inserting a new column takes excel 14 minutes to process. External links have been removed to speed up the process.

I loaded this workbook on a more powerful PC which approx halved the calculation times. I am currently using a Mac Pro on Bootcamp which isn't ideal. Below are the specifications of my machine:

Processor: 6 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz 3.46 GHz
RAM: 32.GB (16GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System

I am aware that the workbook could be designed more efficiently and am working on this in the short term but intend to buy a new high power PC in the near future and wondered which specifications are most important for optimal excel 2010 use? Working with databases rather than spreadsheets is also a longer term consideration. My preference would be to buy a pre-built new PC because my limited hardware knowledge but if I would greatly benefit from a custom built machine I would consider this. Price is of course important but would happily to stretch to a high end machine if this would make a significant difference.

I look forward to hearing any advise or viewing links to recommended PCs,

Matt

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I am using a workbook containing 18 worksheets which is 100MB in total. Although the file size isn't huge the worksheets contain many complex formulas which are heavily linked to other worksheets within the workbook making processing speed very slow. For example inserting a new column takes excel 14 minutes to process. External links have been removed to speed up the process.

I loaded this workbook on a more powerful PC which approx halved the calculation times. I am currently using a Mac Pro on Bootcamp which isn't ideal. Below are the specifications of my machine:

Processor: 6 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz 3.46 GHz
RAM: 32.GB (16GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System

I am aware that the workbook could be designed more efficiently and am working on this in the short term but intend to buy a new high power PC in the near future and wondered which specifications are most important for optimal excel 2010 use? Working with databases rather than spreadsheets is also a longer term consideration. My preference would be to buy a pre-built new PC because my limited hardware knowledge but if I would greatly benefit from a custom built machine I would consider this. Price is of course important but would happily to stretch to a high end machine if this would make a significant difference.

I look forward to hearing any advise or viewing links to recommended PCs,

Matt

From what I can tell, you're using a pretty beefy setup already! SIGNIFICANTLY better than 99.9999% of the workstations people use in a general office setting. You won't find a pre-built PC with more power unless you have it custom made (except for the processor, a high-end i7 might edge out that Xeon).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I was surprised that the high end PC I used got through the calculations in half of the time given the spec of the workstation I have. Do you think increasing the 16GB of RAM would significantly reduce the time it takes for calculations to be made?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I was surprised that the high end PC I used got through the calculations in half of the time given the spec of the workstation I have. Do you think increasing the 16GB of RAM would significantly reduce the time it takes for calculations to be made?

Extremely doubtful, I can't think of anything short of CAD/3D Rendering that uses that much RAM. The only thing I can think of is that a computer that is native Windows (not going through BootCamp) is, from my experience, overall more efficient with processing calculations in Microsoft Office. What are the specs of the PC you used that halved the calculation time?

Upvote 0
Day to day the computer that halved calculation time is used for 3D rendering. Its specs are:

Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz (2 processors)
24GB RAM
64-bit

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back