Partial Duration Time Series Precipitation

Gremlin980

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two datasets of precipitation data. One is daily rainfall data over 10 years for a given location. The other is a partial duration series (PDS) which shows the estimated rainfall for a given recurrence interval (expected time for precipitation event of specific volume to occur) and intensity (volume of rain/time). By cross referencing the two data tables I'm able to manually determine the return interval for each daily rain event and for multiple days which are part of the same event (ie, adding up totals for consecutive days of rain and then referencing the PDS table). For this example, one day of no rainfall indicates a separation in rain events. Additionally, if a value is below the 1 year interval, then it is a <1 year return interval event. If it is between the 1 and 2 year interval, it is a 1-2 year event.

It isn't feasible for me to do this manually as my rainfall data is over 10 years, so I'd like to automate this in excel. How would you go about this?

I think I've been able to figure out how to create upper and lower bounds for the time series to then match the daily data if it falls between those values, though I can't figure out how to combine multiple days to then output the interval for the specified duration of days. Below is an example of one performed manually over 8 days. Ignore values in parenthesis.

PDS Reference Table
1659970690144.png

Expected Output Table
1659970710865.png

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back