Partial text search against an array

Ucubia

Board Regular
Hi

I have two worksheets, one that has a list of hostnames and one that is a list of closed platforms

In the Platforms worksheet if I enter the formula =countif(Hostnames!a:a,A2&"*") this will look for the characters "FRED" in the Hostname sheet and in this case return the value of 3

However, I really need to do the reverse, as in if HOSTNAME starts with the characters in the Platform sheet/array, then flag it as "ready for decommission"

Ideas welcome on how best to do it?

Hostnames (Col A) Platforms (Col A) Count (Col B)

FRED FRED 3
FRED123 MARY 2
FRED567
MARY
MARYABC

Many thanks in advance

regards, Ian

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hello Ian

Try this.

Excel Formula:
=IF(SUM(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Platforms!$A$1:$A$2,Hostname!A1))),"ready for decommission","")

Upvote 0
If you specifically need to search for items that start with the platform data, then perhaps:

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(IFERROR(SEARCH(Platforms!$A$1:$A$2,A1),2)=1),Platforms!$B$1:$B$2),"No match")

Upvote 0
Hello Ian

Try this.

Excel Formula:
=IF(SUM(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Platforms!$A$1:$A$2,Hostname!A1))),"ready for decommission","")
If you specifically need to search for items that start with the platform data, then perhaps:

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(IFERROR(SEARCH(Platforms!$A$1:$A$2,A1),2)=1),Platforms!$B$1:$B$2),"No match")
Thank you both - I don't think I really explained the issue well enough.

Basically in one worksheet I have a list of hostnames e.g. Fred, Fred123, Fred456 - the platform is Fred, and Fred123, Fred456 are essentially interfaces upon Fred.

In the other worksheet I just have Platforms in this case Fred

So in the hostnames worksheet, I want to take the hostname from the cell, and then perform a lookup in the platforms worksheet. If the cell in hostname worksheet starts with "Fred" then I can simply say "ready to decommission" and that will apply to Fred, Fred123, Fred456. That's been the challenge.

I would add the in reality hostnames is about 10,000 rows and platforms is about 1,000

But thank you for assisting, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
So in what way do those formulas not do what you want?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory,

Thanks for your offer to help, it is literally text searching - i.e. hostname FRED123, does it contain the platform name in another sheet which does indeed have a platform name of FRED.

The problem being hostnames I could literally have FRED123, FRED123456, FRED9999, FREDXXX etc etc. In reality the hostname is comprised of Platformname+Instance. So when the admin guys switch off FRED, it will flag for decommission FRED123, FRED123456, FRED9999, FREDXXX

I have tried a number of ways to match (partially) against the platforms - I can't get it to work,

Upvote 0
Taking your example my formula spills out "ready for decommission" for every hostname.
Please explain what result did you expect.

Upvote 0
The formulas provided do what you are describing - i.e. search through the list of platform names and find the one that matches the start of the hostname.

Upvote 0
I have just re-attempted on the spreadsheet and it failed - I took a closer look at the data and found whitespace, so I used TRIM to tidy that up and it worked!

Other searches worked fine before TRIM so assume this formula detects more - I have no idea!

Thank your assistance, and paitence - very much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back