Partial vlookup

MelWatson

Hi,

I am trying to complete a vlookup from one spreadsheet to another but I want to check if there is a partial match eg 123456789 I want the vlookup to look for 456 rather than an exact match. Unfortunately I can't get this to work.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

TIA.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Based on what you've described, I would consider using the SEARCH function, and if the text substring is found in the other cell, the location of the substring will be returned...a number. So ISNUMBER can be used as a function wrapper, and a TRUE result means the substring is found. More details are needed to understand how the approach would be implemented. If possible, a small working example posted using the XL2BB add-in would greatly improve your chances of obtaining help. Also, please update your account profile to display the current version of Excel that you are using, as solutions may vary depending on your version and functions that are available to you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back