Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording

Chris Waller

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am experiencing a problem trying to record macros in my Personal Macro Workbook. I get an error message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording". I then get an Excel Pop-up box "Unable to record". When I look there is a Personal Macro Workbook in the XLSTART Folder. I have deleted this several times, but, when I try to record a macro it comes up with the error message above. I have tried to look on the Internet to find out what to do and there doesn't appear to be the same scenario anywhere. I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this problem?

In the VB editor, in the Immediate window (if you can't see the Immediate window then press Ctrl - G) type
Rich (BB code):
? application.StartupPath
and press Enter.
Is the path exactly the same path as where you have been looking at the files?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Ok a little puzzled as to why your startup folder doesn't appear to be working properly, I will have to have a think.

Just for info what happens If you manually open the Personal Workbook, make it visible and record a new macro, selecting the Personal Workbook from the Save macros in dropbox? Error messages? Does the new macro appear in the Personal Workbook?

Upvote 0
When I open my Personal file I receive a pop-up box Microsoft Excel Security Notice. This shows the file path and interestingly the message reads "Macros have been disabled. Macros might contain viruses or other security hazards. Do not enable this content unless you trust the source of this file".

If I remember correctly in previous versions of Excel I had to change the macro security from the highest setting to the one just below. I was then able to use the Personal Macro Workbook without any problems. I think a yellow banner appeared above the spreadsheet saying that the workbook contained macros and did I want to enable them.

I wonder if it is something to do with Trust Centre?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What happens when you Enable it? Also in your Macro security make the Startup folder a Trusted location.

Upvote 0
OK. Mark if you say it can be done I stand corrected.
To record a Macro directly into the Personal Folder I would not think is not a good plan. Most times when we do that the macro recorder records all sorts of stuff we really do not need. Even if you can do it I would recommend recording the macro in a Normal workbook. Take a look and make sure it is what you want. Then if all is well then drag the module into your Personal folder.

Upvote 0
Also the user in post 1 said:
When I look there is a Personal Macro Workbook in the XLSTART Folder. I have deleted this several times.
Unquote
So it looks like a Personal Workbook was there at one time. I have never tried to delete the Personal Workbook

Upvote 0
I would not think is not a good plan.
I didn't say it was a good plan but it is an option provided and I do know some who do use it (albeit occasionally).
The issue here isn't where the OP is storing the macro's but that the XLSTART folder isn't working for them.

Upvote 0
If you got to File > options > Trust center > Trust center settings > Trusted locations.
Is your start up folder in the list?
Also is the "Disable all trusted locations" box checked?

Upvote 0
This is weird. What is your XLStart folder location? Is anything in there?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back