personal.xls - whats in your box?

dk said:
Cbrine said:
litrelord,
Can you pass along the code you use to disable it. It drives me nuts, but not quite nuts enough to dig into disabling it. If you already have, then I don't need to do the work:).

Cal

You can disable it permanently (without having to run code every time Excel or a workbook opens) using Application.CommandBars("Reviewing").Enabled = False. Works well in Excel but not in Word unfortunately :(

Dan

Sorry mate - I didn't read your post properly. I guess you already know how to disable it.

Dan

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
That's pretty much what I've got but it seems to come back now and then when I use it so I've just put

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.CommandBars("Reviewing").Enabled = False
End Sub

into the workbook module.

I'm sure it's a brilliant and well designed part of office all the reviewing tools but i've never found them any use personally.

Nick

litrelord said:
..but i've never found them any use personally.
Great for group reviewing/editting. The Word version is better, imho; easier to navigate/control.

I have a few modules:
1. Formatting (dates, currency, numbers, percentages, wrapping, unwrapping etc that are then put in one toolbar menus)
2. Print options (toggle gridlines, select printer and paper and paper size, add footers - various, add headers - various, landscape/portrait, margin manipulation, repeat top line, repeat left column, freeze panes at specific points, etc)
3. Worksheet specific (import data, run reports etc)
4. Spellchecker
5. Auto-open (disables F1 as help key)
6. Misc - add watermark, remove hyperlinks, timing test for macros.
7. Functions - mainly text manipulation ie get date from "Import##-20050307-A"

Most of the code was either recorded (formats) or copied from this site (disable F1, spellcheck, extract nth element)

James

Hmmmm

Some one already mentioned the "Paste Values" short cut key, I think that one gets the most use. I've got it set up as [Ctrl]+[Shft]+[V] in the personal file.

Then there's the "Where is this file" which pastes the pathway to the file in a cell.

Most of my "Toys" are rigged with an "Open Read Only" workbook macro which necessitates a "Defeat Read Only" routine for me to perform maintenance on them. It's great to watch that annoying (Read Only) notice simply wink off when it runs.

The Application Activate and Send Keys commands are great for getting raw data from outside of Excel.

Application Screen Updating = False/True must be in every job I've done.
Also End(xlUp) gets a lot of use.

All my knowledge is "On the Job Trial and Error" or ask Mr. Excel. I could really use a formal class. Some of the stuff I've gotten from this board is best termed as esoteric. I have no idea how or why it works. I'm just thankful that it does. Those dimension as string routines plus a few others are magic as far as I'm concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back