Power Query - Combine values in rows into one single cell CSV

Aldonin

Hi there Gurus.

I have a large data sate in the form below where same login appears multiple time, one for each different location.

LOGINLOCATIONS
PETERLoc1
JOHNLoc1
PETERLoc3
CHARLESLoc2
CHARLESLoc7
JOHNLoc5
PETERLoc9

I need to transform it into something that only has the login once, and aggregates all locations using comma as delimiter, (using power query)
LOGINLOCATIONS
PETERLoc1,Loc3,Loc9
JOHNLoc1,Loc5
CHARLESLoc2,Loc7

I tried merging columns and grouping without success as the login gets repeated after every LocX code.

Any help is much welcome, and... thank you!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"LOGIN"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [LOCATIONS]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each [Count][LOCATIONS]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each List.Accumulate([Custom], "", (state, current) => state & current & "," )),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom.2", each Text.Middle([Custom.1],0,Text.Length([Custom.1])-1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"Count", "Custom", "Custom.1"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom.2", "LOCATIONS"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Book4
ABCDE
1LOGINLOCATIONSLOGINLOCATIONS
2PETERLoc1PETERLoc1,Loc3,Loc9
3JOHNLoc1JOHNLoc1,Loc5
4PETERLoc3CHARLESLoc2,Loc7
5CHARLESLoc2
6CHARLESLoc7
7JOHNLoc5
8PETERLoc9
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Just pointing out that the List.Accumulate step is unnecessary... once you have the list, you can extract it into values:
Power Query:
let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"LOGIN"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [LOCATIONS]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each [Count][LOCATIONS]),
    #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Custom", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Extracted Values",{"LOGIN", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Though if you want to get really tricky, you can combine the List & Extract into the Grouping:

Power Query:
let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"LOGIN"}, {{"Locations", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_[LOCATIONS], Text.From), ",")}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Upvote 0
Just pointing out that the List.Accumulate step is unnecessary... once you have the list, you can extract it into values:
Power Query:
let
    #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Custom", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Extracted Values",{"LOGIN", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Though if you want to get really tricky, you can combine the List & Extract into the Grouping:

Power Query:
let
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"LOGIN"}, {{"Locations", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_[LOCATIONS], Text.From), ",")}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"
Thanks - that's a much better way (especially your second one)

Upvote 0
or almost the same, without the List.Transform.
Power Query:
let
    Group = Table.Group(Source, {"LOGIN"}, {{"Locations", each Text.Combine([LOCATIONS],","), type nullable text}})
in
    Group

Upvote 0
Yup - I got a little ahead of myself when I combined the steps ;). Nice catch!

Upvote 0
If it is a large table, maybe sort it, add index, then use the Fourth parameter in the grouping Group.KindLocal to speed things up. I did not test, but it could be beneficial.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back