Power Query - Finding source of errors when using functions

gazpage

I've got a file with several hundred tabs with identical structure that I needed to transform and bring in to one table. I created a query on one sheet, converted it to a function and applied it to a list of the sheet names. All worked fine so far.

I then received an updated version of the source sheet and reconnected my query. However this time I got an unable to format as a number type error. I eventually tracked it down to an entry that contained both text and numbers "16 hours per day", but it took me ages. The error was therefore generated by the function for one of the sheets and so as soon as I expanded the columns I get the error status with no indication of where it came from.

Any better way to do this?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
You could try adding an id column in the function. Then when it fails you will see the last one that worked and can narrow it down from there.

Upvote 0
Apologies, but I'm not quite sure I follow. Happy to try something to see if it works but don't quite understand what you are suggesting.

Upvote 0
sorry. Edit the function and add a new last step to be "Add column, Index Column". the function will then return a unique ID for each line as part of the output. run the query and then check which line the function fails on (presumably the last line returned). From there you should be able to work out which sheet failed by counting the rows on each sheet until you find the right one.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cindykay

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back