Power Query - Upload report changes month on month

sammy1985

Hi all

I'm learning Power Query and need some help (i have tried searching for an answer but not sure what to Google).

I created a template to analyse the monthly payroll report from our payroll company (we outsource). It seemed to be working fine until they changed the report. I have noticed the reports sent over are not always the same which means I can't use the template without amending the report sent over.

For example:

Month 1 - columns would be: Gross Salary, NI, Pension, SSP, Adjustments, SMP, Net
Month 2 - columns would be: Gross Salary, NI, Pension, Adjustments, Net

I don't want multiple templates. How can I amend my template so that I'm only using one and it analyses everyone's salaries regardless of what columns are showing that month? Has anyone else come across this scenario?

Thanks All

Sam

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
you could import to the PQ editor your table/range and indicate that it does not contain header columns. then once in the PQ editor, you could promote line one to be headers.

Upvote 0
If the columns that you want never change their names, you can use "Remove other columns" to delete the others without referencing them directly.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back