PowerPivot model: Duplicate rows adding up to over inflated total.

HarryR1

Hi all
I am new to PowerPivot and data models, and I am querying an SSAS cube in a PowerPivot data model. I have a problem with duplicate names inflating figures. The duplicates come from a Project Server SSAS cube.
RowProject NameCost
11004 - Parent Project£500
21004 - Sub Project£200
31004 - Sub Project with same name as Parent Project£300

<tbody>
</tbody>
Rows 2 and 3 are both sub projects that make up the whole project that is totalled up in row 1. However, when looking a the results in PowerPivot, the model is adding all these three rows separately, producing a total figure of £1000.
How can I get the model to a)recognise the hierarchy from Project Server. it does if querying the cube directly in excel into a pivot chart but not in a PowerPivot model.
Is there a DAX or MDX calculation I can use to only select or count the highest figure of any duplicates rows with the same name?
I understand it's a pretty complex question but hoping someone can help.
Thanks in advance.
Harry

More or less, though I would actually expect:
=SUM(CostsTable[cost], CostsTable[IsThemax] = TRUE())

Right... your total cost is the sum of all costs... where Max is true. That is what that measure says.

I should have a window from 1pm to 4pm PST today... and in the spirit of the holidays wouldn't mind jumping on a shared screen consult for a half hour to get you jump started. Reach out via email to scott [at] tinylizard.com if you want to do that and see this in time :)

Hi Scottsen

Apologies for not replying sooner. I have had a winter cold the last few days which took me out of action. I will give the above a try and see if I can make some progress.

Thanks for all your help so far, it's super appreciated.:)

Harry

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
More or less, though I would actually expect:

Right... your total cost is the sum of all costs... where Max is true. That is what that measure says.

I should have a window from 1pm to 4pm PST today... and in the spirit of the holidays wouldn't mind jumping on a shared screen consult for a half hour to get you jump started. Reach out via email to scott [at] tinylizard.com if you want to do that and see this in time :)

"Too many arguments were passed to the SUM function. The maximum argument count for the function is 1".

I get this when trying to add to a new calculated column in both tables and as a calculated field.

Thanks for all your help but I am going to give up now. It's far too difficult to use what should be a very simple calculation.

Thanks again.:)

Upvote 0
Now you are gonna make me feel bad n stuff! :) Cuz I was apparently drunk when I wrote the equation.
is totally not valid.

=CALCULATE(SUM(CostsTable[Cost]), CostsTable[IsTheMax] = TRUE())

Is what you wanted.

Upvote 0
Now you are gonna make me feel bad n stuff! :) Cuz I was apparently drunk when I wrote the equation.
is totally not valid.

=CALCULATE(SUM(CostsTable[Cost]), CostsTable[IsTheMax] = TRUE())

Is what you wanted.

Haha. Ok I will give it a go when |I get back home from the holidays. Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Maybe you guys can use TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings and do a live session.

I do this all the time with a few really good friends on here who help me.

Just a thought!

Hope this helps.

Hi

I was sure I replied to this after Christmas, but upon needing to check it again, I spotted that the post didn't...post.

Everything worked well. Thank you so much for your help. I am looking at a couple of books to learn DAX properly, particularly DAX Formulas for PowerPivot by Rob Collie. DO you know if it's a good resource? Could you recommend any that you have found useful?

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Harry

Upvote 0
Rob's books are *great*. very approachable and practical, I would definately start w/ the one you picked.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
el_gazar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back