Protecting your intellectual work...

Zarcero

Okay, so I am working a consulting gig for a foreign affiliate of a major international corporation. In the course of this work I use VBA Excel and link it to another ODBC compliant program that does engineering calculations. The VBA Excel can be used to input parameters, extract parameters and do additional calculations, and also present the output in easily digestible tables, charts, graphs, etc. The VBA Excel is not "necessary", however, being that the engineering software ouputs the data in its own formats, but just not as nicely as Excel.

The work I do is done project by project. In the course of this work the other affiliates find out about the VBA work. However, instead of offerring to retain me, they ask the affiliate that I am consulting for to give them a copy of my VBA work so that they can amend the code and do their projects themselves without retaining me, or worse yet, give the code to their own preferred consultant so that he/she can do it.

What to do, since this is considered work for hire, and hence I do not have copyright on the code?

Z

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi Zarcero,

For the future:
1. Make sure your consulting contract clearly states that you retain the intellectual property rights to any coding you do; and/or
2. Supply the results of your efforts as an Excel Add-in or at least as a protected vba project.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back