Pull values from a list and then stop after a certain number is reached?

adacause

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have ~35 sheets of seminars each with a list of names and another sheet with about 500 people waiting to be placed into any of the classes (they said it doesn't matter which one). The existing seminars all have a different number of people. Some are at 15 and others 30. Is it possible to somehow pull names from the list of people awaiting placement and add names to each seminar while capping the number of people added to a seminar at a certain number?

For example - The first 10 people on my list are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J. I want to cap the number of people in each seminar at 35. Let's say I have set up sheets for each session with a roster of registered people. Session 1 already has 32 people registered, session 2 has 30, and session 3 has 24. What I'd like to do is know if there is a way (other than manually) to add persons A-J to these sheets. It would be preferable to start with the sheet with the fewest people and add to those first, but at this point, that's not too important. It can just add to the first sheet until it hits the max number then pick up on the next sheet and continue adding people. So, A-C would be added to Session 1, D-H added to session 2, and the rest added to session 3.

I have no idea if that's even possible, but I thought I'd ask before I start doing this by hand. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
@adacause Sensibly, this needs to be resolved by using vba. Are you ok to use vba?
If so then in order to give someone a chance of providing a meaningful solution I think you need to provide a little more detail of your data layout.

Eg Name of the 'Waiting Names' sheet and its relationship to the other sheets.
Eg is sheet 1 followed by all others.
Are there any other sheets that need to be ignored?
What is the typical range of the waiting names, eg A2:A600
What column / range do you need to add to in the seminar sheets.
If you cannot fill all seminars, do you fill one by one and then some remain well below capacity or do you attempt to spread the names and even out the seminar attendees.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back