Dim key As Variant
For Each key In dict.Keys
Debug.Print dict(key).CustomerID
Debug.Print dict(key).Amount
Debug.Print dict(key).Items
Next key

End Sub

Two questions regarding above:
1. Is it possible to read through a dictionary without having to explicitly reference each item? Meaning, in the example above, instead of having to explicitly write out debug.print for CustomerID, Amount, and Items, is it possible to reference them via a loop through the items in clsCustomer? Something like:

Dim key As Variant
For Each key In dict.Keys
For Each x in clsCustomer
debug.print dict(key).x
Next x
Next key

2. Is it possible to associate a column header name to each item? Meaning, if I am writing the dictionary to a worksheet, when CustomerID is being written, I'd like the first row to show column header "Customer ID". I realize you can hardcode the column header and write the dictionary starting in row 2, but if the order of the dictionary items changes, the column headers would need to be manually re-ordered as well, which I want to avoid.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
1. Meaning, in the example above, instead of having to explicitly write out debug.print for CustomerID, Amount, and Items, is it possible to reference them via a loop through the items in clsCustomer?

No, not directly. If you want to keep the separate property names .CustomerID, .Amount and .Items (i.e. as opposed to having some generic collection name), you could add a MyItem property to clsCustomer:

VBA Code:
Public Property Get MyItem(i As Long) As Variant

Select Case i
      Case 1: MyItem = Me.CustomerID
      Case 2: MyItem = Me.Amount
      Case 3: MyItem = Me.Items
   End Select

End Property

2. Is it possible to associate a column header name to each item? Meaning, if I am writing the dictionary to a worksheet, when CustomerID is being written, I'd like the first row to show column header "Customer ID". I realize you can hardcode the column header and write the dictionary starting in row 2, but if the order of the dictionary items changes, the column headers would need to be manually re-ordered as well, which I want to avoid.

I am guessing from the question that you think you are going to be able to write the dictionary directly to the worksheet? That won't happen - your code will dictate what property goes in what column, and hence you will have control over where to put the appropriate headers.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I think I was able to work out your property suggestion to work for my purposes. However, I'm not clear on my second question. Are you saying there is no way to reference a desired column header for the MyItem(i) that is being evaluated? E.g if MyItem(i) is Me.Amount, I was hoping there would be a way within the program to say the desired column header is "Dollar Amount", preferably within the property sub so that it is easy to see and maintain that "Dollar Amount" is associated to Me.Amount.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back