Redefining a named range in Excel using VBA

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I tried searching and cannot find an answer ... hoping someone can help.

I have a macro where I define named ranges. The VBA code works fine ...

VBA Code:
:
Select Case Range("allocation_type").Value
    Case Is = "Do Not Include"
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R46C47"              ' Set range to single blank cell to suppress unit table in report
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_summary_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R47C47"           ' Set range to single blank cell to suppress summary table in report
    Case Is = "Uniform Rate"
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R46C47"              ' Set range to single blank cell to suppress unit table in report
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_summary_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R10C34:R44C35"    ' Set range to the summary table for uniform rate to print in the report
    Case Is = "Variable Rate"
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R50C32:R65C38"       ' Set range to the unit table for variable rate to print in the report
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_summary_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R10C34:R44C36"    ' Set range to the summary table for variable rate to print in the report
    Case Is = "Hybrid/Blended Rate"
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R71C32:R87C38"       ' Set range to the unit table for hybrid rate to print in the report
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_summary_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R10C39:R44C43"    ' Set range to the summary table to print in the report
    Case Else
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R46C47"              ' Set range to single blank cell to suppress space in report
            ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_summary_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R47C47"           ' Set range to single blank cell to suppress space in report
End Select
:

What I want to do is to define the named ranges using a variable. I will define the row number and column number using a variable. For example ...

instead of ...

VBA Code:
:
ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R50C32:R65C38" 
:

I want to do something like this ...
VBA Code:
:
ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R50C32:rowandcolumnnumber" 
:

where "rowandcolumnnumber" is the row and column number that I would define depending on user input that would change the value of a target cell.

Hope someone can assist me.

Regards,

Steve

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Literal text goes inside quotes, variables go outside, and sewn together with &.

So if you had variables named rownum and column, your code should look like this:
VBA Code:
ActiveWorkbook.Names("allocation_unit_table").RefersToR1C1 = "='Assessment Allocation'!R50C32:R" & rownum & "C" & colnum

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevins1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back