Refreshing Pivot tables *after* data table upon opening workbook

Ludwig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that has an external data source set to "Refresh data when opening the file". I also have multiple pivot tables using that data which have "Refresh data when opening the file" marked.

Is there a non-VBA way I get the pivot tables to do their auto-refresh on open only *AFTER* the external data source has been updated when opening the workbook?

I know I can achieve this using VBA, but it would be nicer to have Excel do the refreshes in the correct order without being forced to make it a macro-enabled workbook.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
After much experimenting, I have found a way to do this. Posted here what seems to be the answer in case anyone else is looking for "how"....

Open spreadsheet & go to ribbon tab "Data", select "Queries & Connections", then right-click on the relevant Query showing on the right and selected "Properties".

Under Usage tab, found "Enable background refresh" was ticked - so I unticked it. Pivot tables now seem to refresh *after* the latest data connection has refreshed.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for your post Alex. The link perfectly explains why & what I needed to do.
Pity I didn't know about the "background refresh" property to be able to successfully search for the solution [& hence find that link]. I only found the property existed by accident 😞 after getting so annoyed with the issue. My initial 'reminder alert' was to put a formula in a cell to check the consistency between one key pivot table and the imported table data (by checking that both transaction count & sum of a $ column match between the two) and then reflecting that value on the top of every other affected worksheet so I didn't miss it!

Hopefully this post might help someone else in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back