Rental Growth Formula

daverm

Board Regular
Hello all,

First post for me, so thank-you in advance for any help.

I am creating a cashflow model model for a rental business. One area I am struggling with, although I have a formula that works, is the area of rental growth. The formula I have seems unwieldy and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to simplify. Unfortunately I can not code using VBA (need to learn how to!).

We have a series of properties in a building that are let on three year terms. I look up in another sheet the number of properties let in the building at a given date and assume that the properties are let in ID order (i.e. property 1, then property 2, then property 3 and so on until all properties are let). When a property is let I need to look up that property's rent and use it as the start point. The rent will then grow in two ways: There is a rental growth after 12 months of the property being let (i.e. after 12 months of income) in line with CPI at say 1.6% and then there is also rental growth at the end of the three years (i.e. after 36 months of rental income have been received), when a new tenancy is granted, in line with a notional growth rate of 5.5% per annum.

The structure of the income sheet is a series of month start dates in cells D1 through to FC1 and below that month end dates in D2 through to FC2. Below this are three rows with a factor for Income inflation (row 3) for starting residential rental inflation, retail rental inflation (row 4) and Cost inflation (row 5). Below this are a further 3 rows containing Month Number, Quarter Number and Financial Year respectively.

Property IDs are listed in column A starting at A15 down to An, where n is the number of properties in the building. Column B contains the sum of columns D:FC. Column C is blank and Columns D:FC then contain the income flow for the Property.

Assumptions!$B$4 is the rental growth occurring throughout the property life which needs to be applied at the renewal of tenancy (every 36 months).

Assumptions!$B$5 is the rental growth in line with CPI at 1.6% every 12 months.

Formula in D15 is as follows:

=IF(AND(INDEX('Absorption Calculations'!$E$7:$FD$61,MATCH($A$1,'Absorption Calculations'!$B$7:$B$61,0)+4,MATCH(D$6,'Absorption Calculations'!$E$3:$FD$3,0))>=COUNTA($A$15:$A15),C15=0),INDEX('Unit Information'!$H$2:$H$1440,MATCH($A15,'Unit Information'!$A$2:$A$1440,0))*D$3/12,C15)*IF(AND(MOD(COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),36)=0,COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0")>0),(1+Assumptions!$B$4/12)^COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),IF(AND(MOD(COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),12)=0,COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0")>0),(1+Assumptions!$B$5),1))

if I simplify this to remove the index and match for number of units let (red) and the property IDs associated rent (blue) then I have the following:

=if(and(number of properties let at given time>=COUNTA($A$15:$A15),C15=0),property rent*D$3/12,C15)*IF(AND(MOD(COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),36)=0,COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0")>0),(1+Assumptions!$B$4/12)^COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),IF(AND(MOD(COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0"),12)=0,COUNTIF($C15:C15,">0")>0),(1+Assumptions!$B$5),1))

What I was wondering is whether there was a way of having a simpler formula to do the same?

Sorry for the long first post. I hope I have been sufficiently clear to explain my problem, but please do let me know if I can clarify in anyway. You can appreciate that uploading the example may prove difficult given the links to other sheets.

Thanks

D

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back