Requesting advice on how to describe financial data (stock charts) as tabular data.

JohnnyMoney

Hi all,

Glad to be joining these boards. :)

I was hoping someone could assist me in finding a smart way to describe/organize financial data in tabular format, i.e. in Excel. In fact, I already have something set up, but I'm wondering if there can be smarter ways to do this? Since one might get tunnel vision working alone, I was hoping I could gain some new perspectives from you guys.

I'm attaching a chart of a day trading session in the S&P 500 index starting at 15:30 and ending at 22:00 (6 1/2 hours). Actually, my times are in Europe, so in the U.S., it would be 09:30 to 16:00.

file.php

As you can see on the picture, the main moves on this day are:

1. + 9,25 points UP right from the market open at time 15:31

2. - 10,50 points DOWN starting at time 16:02

3. + 10,50 points UP starting at time 17:17

4. - 6,50 points DOWN starting at time 20:56 and ending at the market close time 22:00

Now, my desire is to be able to describe this entire day session in a smart way that I can easily perceive and read in a database (Excel). The way I have it set up now is as one row per each day. I have 100s of days. Ideally, I can set things up such that I can easily find similar days through sorting my data as well.

The logical way for me to perceive this data is to consider the day session as made up of swings such as I've annotated that chart, but there might be smarter ways. I don't know...

I could attach my personal mock-up right away, but maybe it's better that I'll post it a little later in order to keep a clean slate?

It would be great if anyone had any input on this! If not, I understand, but figured I could ask just in case there are some creative minds here that feel like sharing some thoughts on this.
smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Johnny

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
The idea I came up with is this. I was unable to attach the actual Excel file.

Anyway, I'm thinking there might be smarter ways to describe the price movement and/or organize this data. But this was what I came up with.

Would appreciate thoughts or suggestions for improvements.

file.php

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back