Restrict (or Popup Clear Warning Against) Copy-Across (any direction) Single Cell--Simple Method Only Please, if Exists?

IKC

I want a SIMPLE way to restrict a SINGLE CELL from being "copied over" whether right, left, up or down. If that is not possible, how about a simple way to cause a "strong warning against" popup to appear when the cell is selected?

Either way, needs to enable any user to actively and advertently "override it" or "completely remove it".

"Nice to have" if there also is a way to "toggle-enable/disable" the restriction/warning for all the various cells in a worksheet that are employing such a restriction/warning.

Scenario is: unique formula in a particular cell that's surrounded by other cells with similar-looking information and similar-looking BUT different formula(s) that a user (even myself in a rush down the road) might accidentally copy across because MISTAKENLY thinking/assuming "all formulas are meant to be the same around here and I'm going to copy across the first one just to be sure". Easily occurs, for example, as part of a bulk copy across of many rows in a column to contiguous columns, especially in a final integrity check.

I know that Excel automatically flags formulas when different in a cell vs. contiguous cells. That flagging does not achieve what I want--not noticeable enough; not specific to a particular cell; automatic by Excel rather than my purposeful and focused choice; not sure what exactly triggers it.

What I seek MUST NOT use the cumbersome "unlock all cells, lock specific cell, protect worksheet and/or workbook method" which is not simple enough nor specific enough: a sledgehammer, when I want a scalpel. Not looking for a VBA programming exercise or any such thing.

I'd prefer a simple "Can't be done simply" if that's what you think.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I'd prefer a simple "Can't be done simply" if that's what you think.
Not even remotely possible without using something from your 'MUST NOT USE' list.

A vba warning when the cell is selected would be the simplest way, but any additional restrictions would most likely need redundancy clauses, etc.

Upvote 0
What is the address of the cell that you don't want copied?

Upvote 0
Was just a general question. Just know it happens sometimes where you have contiguous formulas purposefully different, and somehow they get changed by someone (even myself if "not thinking") to "all be the same" and it messes things up. I'm no coder, but am a bit surprised it's not a feature in Excel given Excel has the "Error checking rule" entitled "Formulas inconsistent with other formulas in the region"--i.e. the flip side of what I'm seeking: no, it's not an error, it's purposeful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back