Return a value from a table that is in the top n percent of a person's trial scores

PD in Waterloo

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel 365 workbook with a data table on one tab and a results page on another tab. The data table contains a column with the results of hundreds of trials, each with a numerical trial score earned by the participant whose corresponding name is in the adjacent column. Each name is repeated hundreds of times. The data are currently sorted:

1. Participant names by alpha

2. Scores hi-low

There are other columns (date, trial_type, etc), immaterial for this project.

I want to craft a formula that returns the average of the top top n percent of trial scores for each person.

By way of example, if I just needed the average of each person's scores, I would use:

Excel Formula:
AVERAGEIF(DATASET[name]:[name]],$A4,DATASET[TRIAL_SCORE]) // $a4 is the participant's name

I was able to figure out a formula to capture the average of the top n count of each person's scores:
Excel Formula:
=AVERAGEIFS(DATASET[[trial_score]:[trial_score]],DATASET[[name]:[name]],
$A4,DATASET[[trial_score]:[trial_score]],">="&LARGE(IF(DATASET[[name]:[name]]=$A4,
DATASET[[trial_score]:[trial_score]]),J$3)) // $A4 is the relative cell ref for the participant’s name; j$3 is the relative cell ref atop several columns with the desired count parameter

But I just can't suss out a formula to get the averages of only a subset each participant's scores, namely the top *n* percent of his or her scores (with the *n* value in a reference cell).

I thought about adding a column to the table to generate a "1" of "0" result based on whether the score in that row was in the top n percent of the person's scores, and then adding the "1" to the conditions of an AVERAGEIFS formula.

Seems kludgy in concept so any more elegant suggestions/ideas gratefully received!

I did reply. This solution seems to assume that there is some number of undifferentiated scores (74 or 75 in the post), making it easy to calculate n% of that number (7-8), and then insert that result into a reference cell that is then used to extract the average of the top x (count) of scores. It works fine if there's only one person's scores, or if the scores are all commingled. But this data set had almost 900 participants, each with 100-1000+ scores. What I am hoping to do is use a formula to extract the top n% of each person's scores, then average each of those extracted individual averaged scores and report it in a summary.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Yes, but you haven't answered my question. Regardless of how many names you have we need to know if the n% should always be rounded up, rounded down, or round to the nearest whole number.

Upvote 0
You cannot round to 1 decimal, it needs to be a whole number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back