Return the first occurrence after criteria is met

Shummy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello.
Thanks for helping.
I've been cracking my brain for hours however I am still unable to figure out a way to write a formula. What I have initially done is identified the number of occurrences for "Approval Request Submitted" with this formula: =IF(D2="Approval Request Submitted",COUNTIF($D$2:D2,"Approval Request Submitted"),"") and tried to incorporate a formula to find the MIN Event Date whenever the next occurrence occurs however I have no idea how to incorporate this logic.
Requisition IDCandidate IDEvent DateEvent
11234516/02/2022Approval Request Submitted
11234517/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234518/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234519/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234519/02/2022Approval Request Submitted
11234520/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234521/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234521/02/2022Approval Request Submitted

What I am trying to achieve is for each unique combination of Requisition ID and Candidate ID, I want to return the first occurrence of each Correspondence Sent after an Approval Request Submitted has occurred.
Requisition IDCandidate IDEvent DateEvent
11234517/02/2022Correspondence Sent
11234520/02/2022Correspondence Sent

Above is only 1 case. I assume I would need to also incorporate a MATCH/INDEX formula as I need to identify each unique Requisition ID and Candidate ID combination.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks!

Regards,
Chris

That seems to make this a very different question to what was originally asked. I am now unsure of exactly what the 'logic' is of what is required.
For example, if "Correspondence Sent" appears somewhere between two rows with "Approval Request Submitted" I can't see how one would decide which "Approval Request Submitted" it related to.
To see if something was possible I would want to see a substantial set of sample data that had all the different variations in it, the expected results and explanation in relation to those results.
Hi Peter,
Sincerely apologize for that as I only realized after running your macro that it picked up this scenario.
I'm not able to upload an excel sheet due to our company restrictions so I can only best explain with some examples. I will exclude the first 2 columns and show the difference combinations of Event Dates and Events

Event Date 1Event 1Event Date 2Event 2Event Date 3Event 3Event Date 4Event 4Event Date 5Event 5
01/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Correspondence Sent
01/08/2022Approval Request Submitted02/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Approval Request Submitted01/08/2022Correspondence Sent01/08/2022Approval Request Submitted
03/08/2022Approval Request Submitted02/08/2022Correspondence Sent02/08/2022Approval Request Submitted02/08/2022Correspondence Sent
03/08/2022Approval Request Submitted02/08/2022Correspondence Sent02/08/2022Approval Request Submitted
03/08/2022Correspondence Sent03/08/2022Correspondence Sent
04/08/2022Approval Request Submitted03/08/2022Approval Request Submitted

The output would be similar to the above in which I will only need the first instance of each Correspondence Sent. Initially I requested for every time an Approval Request Submitted Event occurs, I would need the first instance of the Correspondence Sent. However, I have identified that there are scenarios in which Correspondence Sent could happen before Approval Request Submitted, so I would need to grab the first Correspondence Sent (Event 2 is an example.)

A quick question on the Dictionary Macro, my worksheet actually consists of many columns, I tried to change the code to fit my worksheet however I was receiving an error. Below is what I attempted. (Sorry am new to using Dictionary so was trying to attempt myself).
VBA Code:
Sub Approval_Correspondence()
  Dim d As Object
  Dim a As Variant, b As Variant
  Dim i As Long, k As Long

'Set up a dictionary to record the unique Requisition/Candidate combos
  Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  d.CompareMode = 1
  'Read all the data into an array for faster processing
  '[Chris] I changed the range to N
  a = Range("A2", Range("N" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
  'Set up an array plenty big enough to hold the results
  '[Chris[ I changed the array to 14
  ReDim b(1 To UBound(a), 1 To 14)
 ' Work through the rows of the data
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    'If it is an Approval row then record the Req/Candidate combo.
    'If it already exists in the dictionaru a new key is NOT recorded.
    '[Chris] The column which the Event lies in in column L
    '[Chris] The column for Requisition ID and Candidate ID are in columns A and E
    If a(i, 12) = "Approval Request Submitted" Then
      d(a(i, 1) & "|" & a(i, 5)) = 1
    'Else if it is a Corresp row then ..
    ElseIf a(i, 12) = "Correspondence Sent" Then
      '.. IF that row's Req/Candidate combo is already in the dictioary
      If d.Exists(a(i, 1) & "|" & a(i, 5)) Then
        'Go to the next row in the results array ..
        k = k + 1
        ' .. write all the values into that results array row ..
        '[Chris] I am assuming here this I would change it based on the columns I require to in my destination worksheet
        b(k, 1) = a(i, 1): b(k, 2) = a(i, 2): b(k, 3) = a(i, 3): b(k, 4) = a(i, 4)
        ' .. and delted that Req/Candidate key from the dictionary so that it can be added again if the combo arises again
        '[Chris] Just updated to delete the right record
        d.Remove (a(i, 1) & "|" & a(i, 5))
      End If
    End If
  Next i
  'Write the results array back into the worksheet
  '[Chris] An error was appearing here, was not sure exactly why
  Worksheet("Results").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(k, 4).Value = b
End Sub

Again, I really appreciate your time. This is the first time seeking help in Excel and you have been doing above and beyond for me. I cannot thank you enough.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
.. but not identical. That leaves me to guess what the output would actually be.
Hey Peter,
Thanks for the reply. Identical in a sense that I would need the first occurrence of the Correspondence Sent regardless if its before or after the Approval Request Submitted.
Apologies for the confusion.

Upvote 0
Apologies for the confusion.
Unfortunately, to my understanding, you are not resolving it.

As far as I can understand, since it seems the values can come pretty much in any order, there is no way to tell if the yellow highlighted row below is the first response after the 02/08/2022 Approval or the first response before the 03/08/2022 Approval (or the fifth response to some much earlier Approval)

Similarly, how do we tell if green row is the second response after 02/08 or the first response before 03/08?

If you could supple sample data and actual results (rather than described results) and clearly explain the logic in relation that then possibly (but not sure) I could get to understand the layout and requirement.

1660018603554.png

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, to my understanding, you are not resolving it.

As far as I can understand, since it seems the values can come pretty much in any order, there is no way to tell if the yellow highlighted row below is the first response after the 02/08/2022 Approval or the first response before the 03/08/2022 Approval (or the fifth response to some much earlier Approval)

Similarly, how do we tell if green row is the second response after 02/08 or the first response before 03/08?

If you could supple sample data and actual results (rather than described results) and clearly explain the logic in relation that then possibly (but not sure) I could get to understand the layout and requirement.

View attachment 71145
Hey Peter.
Thanks for your reply. For the above case it would be as how you have written your initial code as to pick up the first occurrence of the Correspondence Sent after the Approval Requested Event has happened. I assume this is Event 4, the thing different here is that there is no Approval Request event happening here for the first correspondence sent. Below is the expected result.
Correspondence Sent01/08/2022
Correspondence Sent02/08/2022
Let me see if I can somehow furnish my excel workbook to you. Will populate the scenarios on my personal laptop. Just wondering if there is a way to upload here as I don't see an option to, only uploading an image or mini sheet.
Again, really appreciate the time and commitment for helping.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back