Returning a result related to a cell with a defined name

HelloAce

Hi all, I have a cell that is linked to a defined name of a cell from another sheet. Is it possible to use a formula to return the cell to the left of this linked cell from the other sheet?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Upvote 0
FP2 is on sheet 1. The Offset formula you'd need would be:
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sheet2!$AM$2,0,-1,1,1)
which is a long way of saying:
Excel Formula:
=Sheet2!AL2

Upvote 0
FP2 is on sheet 1. The Offset formula you'd need would be:
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sheet2!$AM$2,0,-1,1,1)
which is a long way of saying:
Excel Formula:
=Sheet2!AL2
I understand that FP2 is on sheet 1 but was hoping to use that in the formula. To manually reference AM2 in each formula would take a lot of time. The only common denominator between what I am trying to do I FP2.

Upvote 0
OK, hyperlinking it to AM2 does nothing useful in terms of referencing in this case. What I don't understand is why
To manually reference AM2 in each formula would take a lot of time.
whereas to reference FP1 each time wouldn't?

If you absolute reference AM2 like this: $AM$2 (as I showed you in post #11) then you use the same formula in every cell in the column - you just autofill it down.

Upvote 0
OK, hyperlinking it to AM2 does nothing useful in terms of referencing in this case. What I don't understand is why

whereas to reference FP1 each time wouldn't?

If you absolute reference AM2 like this: $AM$2 (as I showed you in post #11) then you use the same formula in every cell in the column - you just autofill it down.
I understand but in sheet 2 there is no order to any of the data, it is all over the place, where sheet 1 continues as a set. I am thinking it isn't possible as you said by hyperlinking it is not useful in referencing.

Upvote 0
If the Data in sheet 2 is "all over the place" then even if you could use hyperlinks - you'd probably need to use different ones to point to the different data locations? Don't see the saving there myself? This thread has moved a long way from referencing a named range to where we are now. Before we go any further, why don't you share your actual sheets using the XL2BB add-in, or alternatively share your file via Google Drive, Dropbox or similar file sharing platform, as well as a clear explanation of what your ultimate aim is?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back