Reverse nested lookup.

xtrato

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi , Im trying to get the following formula , not sure if im trying too hard...

I want to First Search for Category 1 , 2 or 3 THEN - search for A, B, C Or D (Within that CATEGORY) , and then OUTPUT THE PRODUCT,

This is what im using but its not working:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(A2:A4,,MATCH(H8,INDEX(B2:G4,MATCH(H7,B1:G1,0),),0))

1694391024964.png

Any help i s appreciated.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Try this:

=INDEX(A2:A4,,MATCH(H8,INDEX(B2:G4,0,MATCH(H7,B1:G1,0),),0))

Upvote 0
I think that you need this. As well as the added zero suggested by @Phuoc there are some extra commas that need removal
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(A2:A4,MATCH(H8,INDEX(B2:G4,0,MATCH(H7,B1:G1,0)),0))

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

For example, If you have a recent Excel version with the FILTER function, you could also do it this way.
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(A2:A4,FILTER(B2:G4,B1:G1=H7)=H8)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys are great ! - this did the trick , im going to try that filter formula!!!

it became a bit big once it was looking for a duplicate number in a Duplicate RANK! in another sheet. but it worked nontheless !

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(TrueCal!$AM$8:$AM$100,XMATCH(A11,INDEX(TrueCal!$AN$8:$AS$100,0,XMATCH($B$7,TrueCal!$AN$7:$AS$7,0)),0,)),INDEX(TrueCal!$AM$8:$AM$100,XMATCH(A9,INDEX(TrueCal!$AN$8:$AS$100,0,XMATCH($B$7,TrueCal!$AN$7:$AS$7,0)),0,-1)))

Upvote 0
it became a bit big once it was looking for a duplicate number in a Duplicate RANK! in another sheet. but it worked nontheless !

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(TrueCal!$AM$8:$AM$100,XMATCH(A11,INDEX(TrueCal!$AN$8:$AS$100,0,XMATCH($B$7,TrueCal!$AN$7:$AS$7,0)),0,)),INDEX(TrueCal!$AM$8:$AM$100,XMATCH(A9,INDEX(TrueCal!$AN$8:$AS$100,0,XMATCH($B$7,TrueCal!$AN$7:$AS$7,0)),0,-1)))
.. but you can write that formula in a much shorter way with 365. I think that you will find this produces the same results.
Excel Formula:
=LET(r,TrueCal!$AM$7:$AS$100,c,INDEX(r,0,XMATCH($B$7,TAKE(r,1))),INDEX(r,IFNA(XMATCH(A11,c),XMATCH(A9,c,0,-1)),1))

Upvote 0
Ive never used LET - but seems its assigning a letter a formula in essense?i ve applied it and it works great! ... would this be better (performance-wise) than the filter function you mentioned above?

Excel Formula:
=FILTER(A2:A4,FILTER(B2:G4,B1:G1=H7)=H8)

My sheet is massive and i'd take even a 1% increase in performance.

.. but you can write that formula in a much shorter way with 365. I think that you will find this produces the same results.
Excel Formula:
=LET(r,TrueCal!$AM$7:$AS$100,c,INDEX(r,0,XMATCH($B$7,TAKE(r,1))),INDEX(r,IFNA(XMATCH(A11,c),XMATCH(A9,c,0,-1)),1))

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:

Quick questions , how can i re-write the following formula with LET function?

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX('32'!$TC$1:$WF$500,XMATCH($CZ5,'32'!$TC$1:$TC$500),XMATCH($CZ$2,'32'!$TC$1:$WF$1)),0)

it seems its a LOT More clean than this

Upvote 0
would this be better (performance-wise) than the filter function you mentioned above?
I don't know but I suspect that INDEX/XMATCH might be faster than FILTER/FILTER. You would have to check with your data to be sure.

how can i re-write the following formula with LET function?
Try
Excel Formula:
=LET(r,'32'!$TC$1:$WF$500,IFERROR(INDEX(r,XMATCH($CZ5,TAKE(r,,1)),XMATCH($CZ$2,TAKE(r,1))),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HBryant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back