Scientific notation help

smileytmroper

I have received a file from another person. In that file there is a list of numbers that are 15 places long. For example - 840003212104763. For some reason they have a space before the 8. When the file is opened it shows as a number until I click into the cell and then out and it shows as scientific notation. The format for the cell is general. I remove the spaces and format the cells as number and it looks and acts like it should as a number, until I use it in a function, at which point in the function box it shows back up as scientific notation, which doesn't work when I am for example using it in an XLOOKUP function to return data from one of my workbooks that has the same number formatted as numbers the way they should be. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make excel see the number as a number in the function and not as scientific notation. Any help is greatly appreciated.
In the picture the EID Column is the one in question. It is formatted as numbers, shows as numbers, but in the Function Arguments it shows as Scientific notation, so my function returns N/A when it should return a value.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 19

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
in the Function Arguments it shows as Scientific notation,
That will not be a problem as long as all the values are numbers.
Changing the format of a cell, does not change the actual value in a cell, just the way it displays.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back