Search for Text in Row & Return Value

KarenG

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hello,

My knowledge of formulas is very little and very, very basic so I'm struggling to look up "how to" information. I would be very appreciative if you could help me.

I'm trying to find the text in the row and then populate the cell in the last column with the same text as show below. The thought is that when looking down the far right column it's easy to pick out what location hasn't been visited during the specific week.

October​
Sun.​
Mon.​
Tues.​
Wed.​
Thurs.​
Fri.​
Sat.​
2023​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
location 1
sc​
sc​
location 2
kg​
kg​
location 3
location 4
rb​
rb​
location 5
js​
js​
location 6
ff​
ff​
location 7
location 8scsc

Thank you in advance for your help.
Karen

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also do those cells contain a formula that returns "" or are they totally empty cells?

Upvote 0
I made a littel table:
OctoberSun.Mon.Tues.Wed.Thurs.Fri.Sat.
location 1scTRUE
location 2kgkg
location 3
location 4rbrb

If the main reason is to find out which location hasn't been visited I'd use conditional formatting with the formula in I3. That formats the rows where the columns are not empty (as you can see).
If you want the formula to return the actual value(s) the formula in I4 would be my pick. It is a really simple one and doesn't need error hadling for empty rows. It returns all the non-blank values in the range so it can return more than one value.
The formula in the last two rows would be my last pick. It must be wrapped it in an IFNA-function or you'll get N/A whenever the row is empty.

Upvote 0
Thanks for updating you profile, but can you answer the other question as well please.

Upvote 0
Looks like my table missed the formulas and only showed the results. Here's another try. This time I swithed the conditional formatting to only show the empty rows.
Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1OctoberSun.Mon.Tues.Wed.Thurs.Fri.Sat.
3location 1scTRUE
4location 2kgkg
5location 3 
6location 4rbrb
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I3I3=COUNTA($B3:$H3)>0
I4I4=TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,B4:H4)
I5:I6I5=IFNA(INDEX(B5:H5,MATCH("zzz",B5:H5)),"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A3:H6Expression=COUNTA($B3:$H3)=0textNO

Upvote 0
Another option if the cells are empty
Fluff.xlsm
ABCDEFGHI
1OctoberSun.Mon.Tues.Wed.Thurs.Fri.Sat.
3location 1scsc
4location 2kgkg
5location 3 
6location 4rbrb
7location 5jsjs
8location 6ffff
9location 7 
10location 8scsc
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I3:I10I3=IFERROR(TOROW(B3:H3,1),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also do those cells contain a formula that returns "" or are they totally empty cells?
The daily cells are empty so the result would return an empty cell in the far right column.

Upvote 0
Have you tried the various options suggested?

Upvote 0
Just tried them and your solution worked so I marked it as being solved. Thank you so much. Now I'm off to research the ins and outs of your formula so I can understand how it works. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back