Separators for Vertical and Horizontal Arrays in Non-English-language versions of Excel

XOR LX

Hi all,

I have already posted this question here, but am hoping for it to reach as many people as possible, so have reproduced below for the members of this forum who might be able to help.

In English-language versions of Excel, the separators for vertical and horizontal arrays are the semicolon (;) and comma (,) respectively.

I am hoping to compile a list which gives the equivalent separators for as many other language versions, together with, if known, the version(s) of Excel to which they are applicable.

If some of you are wanting to help but unsure what these separators are, a simple way to find out is:

Enter =A1:A3 within the formula bar, then highlight the entire formula and press F9. In English-language versions of Excel this would produce (assuming that range is empty):

={0;0;0}

which indicates that the separator for vertical arrays is the semicolon.

Replacing the formula with =A1:C1 and following a similar procedure will give the separator for horizontal arrays. In English-language versions of Excel this would produce:

={0,0,0}

which indicates that the separator for horizontal arrays is the comma.

If I could ask for replies in the below format (I've filled in a couple that I know), I'd be very grateful.

Language VersionVertical SeparatorHorizontal SeparatorApplicable To
English;,All
Italian\;Excel 2007 and earlier
Italian.\Excel 2010 and later

<tbody>
</tbody>

Many thanks to you all in advance.

Regards

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I know it's a little tedious, but why not just change the regional settings on your computer to the relevant locale and see what happens to the formulas?

FWIW, Italian in 2010 for me uses ; for vertical rather than .

Upvote 0
I know it's a little tedious, but why not just change the regional settings on your computer to the relevant locale and see what happens to the formulas?

Never even considered that as an option. Will give it a go. Thanks!

FWIW, Italian in 2010 for me uses ; for vertical rather than .

Curious!

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_a_advisoryforall

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back