Seperate city and state from 1 to 2 cells

Daniyielle

Hello,

I have to export data from a pdf invoice in order to re-rate calls that billed incorrectly; however, in order to do so, I had to essentially create a macro similar to text to columns to move the data from one cell across multiple cells. So far, I have the macro working like I want, but I am stuck when it comes to the city and state (this is imperative to determine the rates that would be received). I have searched this forum and found a similar post
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60205. This may work if the data was primarily city, state and zip codes. The problem is, my data does not consist of zip codes, there are no comma deliminators (I wouldn't have this problem if there were) and in some instances can contain countries. There are even some instances where the city and state do not have a space between them. If someone can assist me with trying to create a macro to complete this, I would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of the column of data I wish to separate.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="103"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3766;width:77pt" width="103"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt;width:77pt" height="17" width="103">New York NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Trenton NJ</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Trenton NJ</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Nwyrcyzn01NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Un Kingdom</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Nwyrcyzn01NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Nwyrcyzn01NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">CHICGOZN01IL</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Un Kingdom</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">New York NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Moorestown NJ</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">New York NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">New York NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">New York NY</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Lsan Da 13 CA</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">Un Kingdom</td> </tr> <tr style="height:12.75pt" height="17"> <td style="height:12.75pt" height="17">New York NY</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Hello Daniyielle,

I did find the problem you mentioned and have corrected it in the code. The macro now allows you to control case sensitivity in matching the states. Currently, case sensitivity is ignored. Screen updating is turned off until the macro has finished running. This removes screen flicker when there is a lot of data.

Here is the corrected macro.
Code:
Sub SplitCityAndState()

Dim Cell As Range
    Dim RegExp As Object
    Dim Rng As Range
    Dim RngEnd As Range
    Dim State As String
    Dim Wks As Worksheet

' List covers all states, US possessions, and military base "states".
    Const States As String = "A[AELKPSZ]|C[AOT]|D[EC]|FL|G[AU]|HI|I[ADLN]|" _
                           & "K[SY]|LA|M[AEDINOST]|N[CDEHJMY]|O[HKR]|P[AR]|RI|S[CD]|" _
                           & "T[NX]|V[AT]|W[AIVY]"

Set Wks = ActiveSheet

Set Rng = Wks.Range("A1")

Set RngEnd = Wks.Cells(Rows.Count, Rng.Column)
            If RngEnd.Row < Rng.Row Then Exit Sub Else Set Rng = Wks.Range(Rng, RngEnd)

Set RegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
            RegExp.IgnoreCase = True
            RegExp.Pattern = States

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For Each Cell In Rng
                    State = Right(Cell, 2)
                    If RegExp.Test(State) = True Then
                       Cell = Replace(Cell, State, "")
                      Cell.Offset(0, 1) = State
                    End If
                Next Cell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Thank you all for your input!!! The first set of UDF worked! It's Amazing! :biggrin:

I was able to add that in to my macro, which is now complete. I keep running it, then closing it just to open it and run it again. It is just so beautiful. :p

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back