Setting up a server...

AndrewKent

Hi there folks,

I've bought a new pc and rather than selling/binning my old pc, I was hoping to turn it into some sort of server.

Basically what I want to do is to be able to access documents and files on this PC from anywhere via the internet. Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to go about it?

Many thanks,

Andy

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Sorry Kavy, I don't think that article is going to help him much.

The OP wants to, "access documents and files on this PC [at home] from anywhere via the internet."

The problem with a home computer is the internet account. For stuff like Remote Access to work, you need an IP address, and most home users don't subscribe for a static IP address.

To do this without a static IP address, you'll need additional software and there's stuff out there that's free like:

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/features.asp

With a central site that will keep track of changing IP address and give you access to the computer in question.

OP: Hope this helps. Yes, what you want can be done. More diligent searching via the search engines should get you what you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys,

Yeah, after searching on Google I was getting confused (after finding different articles on Windows Server, setting up an FTP server, different software types ect). I have a fairly robust/secure wireless home network setup already (2 laptops, 2 PC's and an external HD), now they can all access files on each other via this network however I would find it handy if I could access the files (or write to my PC that I want to use as a server) via the 'net.

Hopefully this makes a little bit more sense. I'll keep searching though!

Andy

Upvote 0
Andy:

Your first post was clear. I gave you one viable solution.

There are other solutions out there (and even some more that are free).

Again, what you need to overcome is the fact you do not have a static IP (which basically blows Windows and FTP server out of your viable solutions).

If you are using google, or most any other search engine, solutions are NOT that hard to find. First thing you should determine if the solution looks viable is if you have to know the IP address ahead of time.

With the solution I cited, you don't even have to have the LogMeIn software on the computer outside your home. You go through their website and access the files on your home file server.

Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirMalik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back