Simple Conditional Format not working.

Russk68

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All
Ive been exploiting Excel for 20 plus years and I thought this would take me 10 seconds to do. I need conditional formatting to prevent me from entering a value in column E if the same row in column D is blank. I condensed this down to 1 cell so i colud trouble shoot. In E11 I put =ISBLANK(D11). When D11 is blank, I can put a value in E11. When D11 has a value Conditional Format triggers. This is the opposite of what I expected. I tested D11 with the ISBLANK formula in a cell. OK, Instead of racking my brain on why this should work, I figured that I would submit and invert to =NOT(ISBLANK(D11)) Now nothing happens if D11 is blank or not. I provided a video in the link. XL.mov
Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Are you using Conditional Format or Data Validation ?:unsure: Anyway, I see that you didn't unselect the "Ignore Blank" option, it's decisive.

Upvote 0
Are you using Conditional Format or Data Validation ?:unsure: Anyway, I see that you didn't unselect the "Ignore Blank" option, it's decisive.
Oh sorry. Data Validation. Thank you for pointing that out. I thought the skip blanks option was the ah ha moment. It's still doing the same thing. Am I correct by using =ISBLANK(D11) would prevent a value being entered in E11? That formula would return TRUE if D11 is blank, right?

Upvote 0
=ISBLANK(D11) would prevent a value being entered in E11?
It would prevent you entering a value in E11 if D11 isn't blank, remove the validation from E11 and delete E11 (delete not clear and remember you might have to make changes to other cells because of the move after the delete), then redo your data validation using
Excel Formula:
=NOT(ISBLANK($D$11))
and making sure the "Ignore Blank" is deselected

Upvote 0
Solution
It would prevent you entering a value in E11 if D11 isn't blank, remove the validation from E11 and delete E11 (delete not clear and remember you might have to make changes to other cells because of the move after the delete), then redo your data validation using
Excel Formula:
=NOT(ISBLANK($D$11))
and making sure the "Ignore Blank" is deselected
I tried every possible way to get this to work. Your instructions worked! Thank you very much for your time!!

Upvote 0
Your instructions worked! Thank you very much for your time!!
The marked solution has been changed accordingly. In your future questions, please mark the post as the solution that actually answered your question, instead of your feedback message as it will help future readers. No further action is required for this thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back