Slow loop - how to improve using arrays

ExceL0ver

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I need to change the row reference in hundreds of 6 sets of rows of formulae because the column references are different for each row in a set and the row references will be constant for each row in a set of 6, but then increment by 1 per each set of 6 rows. If the formulae are copied down, they will be incorrect and the row references would have to manually amended.

I have therefore written the script as below to replace the row number in each set of rows so that the next incremented number is the replacement row number reference. I know this would be much more efficient if I used array references instead, but attempted and cannot implement it correctly.

Could anyone advise, please?

Thanks

VBA Code:
Sub IncrementRowNumbers()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim rowNum As Integer
    Dim replaceNum As Integer

Sheets("All Data").Activate

'First line of data
    replaceNum = 6

'Start at row 2
    For i = 2 To 3001 Step 6

'Loop through the rows within the set of 6 rows
    For rowNum = i To i + 5

'Replace "6" with the next iteration
    Range("A" & rowNum).Formula = Replace(Range("A" & rowNum).Formula, "6", replaceNum)
    Range("B" & rowNum).Formula = Replace(Range("B" & rowNum).Formula, "6", replaceNum)
    Range("C" & rowNum).Formula = Replace(Range("C" & rowNum).Formula, "6", replaceNum)
    Range("F" & rowNum).Formula = Replace(Range("F" & rowNum).Formula, "6", replaceNum)
    Range("G" & rowNum).Formula = Replace(Range("H" & rowNum).Formula, "6", replaceNum)

Next rowNum

'Increment the replacement number by 1 per each set of 6 rows
    replaceNum = replaceNum + 1

Next i

End Sub

Oh, I didn't realize that you are skipping D&E. Sorry.
VBA Code:
  Dim i As Integer, j As Integer
  Dim myArray As Variant

myArray = Worksheets("All Data").Range("A2:G3001").Formula
  replaceNum = 6

For i = 1 To Ubound(myArray, 1)
    For j = 1 To Ubound(myArray, 2)
      If j <> 4 And j <> 5 Then
        myArray(i, j) = Replace(myArray(i, j), "6", replaceNum + Int(i/6))
      End If
    Next
  Next

Worksheets("All Data").Range("A2").Resize(Ubound(myArray, 1), Ubound(myArray, 2)).Formula = myArray
End Sub

Much better, this works as it should now, Thank you so much for the speedy reply and solution!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Oh, I didn't realize that you are skipping D&E. Sorry.
VBA Code:
  Dim myArray As Variant

replaceNum = 6

myArray(i, j) = Replace(myArray(i, j), "6", replaceNum + Int(i/6))
      End If
    Next
  Next

Worksheets("All Data").Range("A2").Resize(Ubound(myArray, 1), Ubound(myArray, 2)).Formula = myArray
End Sub

No worries, this works as it should now, thank you for the speedy reply and solution!

Upvote 0
I need a little more help if you could, please.

If I wanted to offset the row to the one below so that the numbers being replaced remain as 6 in rows 2-7 and then increment by 1 for every 6 rows thereafter (rows 8-13, 14-19 etc.,), what do I need to modify in the code to achieve this?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Modify this line according to where you want to start. You can start from A2 row or A3 row.
VBA Code:

For the step size, this number is important: Int(i/6). It is always step size+1. For example if the desired step size is 5, it is 5+1=6. If you want to make step size 6, then modify it like Int(i/7)

Since your range size always stays the same, this code will be more maintainable:
VBA Code:
  Dim myArray As Variant
  Dim myRange As Range
  Set myRange = Worksheets("All Data").Range("A2:G3001")

myArray = myRange.Formula
  replaceNum = 6

myArray(i, j) = Replace(myArray(i, j), "6", replaceNum + Int(i/7))
      End If
    Next
  Next

myRange.Formula = myArray
End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the guidance. This code now correctly keeps the number to be replaced as 6 in rows 2-7, but incorrectly changes the replacement number thereafter (it increments by 1 in each set, but also increments the set of rows and changes the number in the next 7 rows, then the next 8, etc,.

The first row contains headers which is why I started at row 2. What I also wanted was for the code to retain the number to be replaced as 6 in the 1st set of 6 rows (2-7), and increment the number by 1 in every set of 6 rows thereafter (change 6 to 7 in rows 8-13, change 6 to 8 in rows 14-19, etc,.)

How would I do that?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you for the guidance. This code now correctly keeps the number to be replaced as 6 in rows 2-7, but incorrectly changes the replacement number thereafter (it increments by 1 in each set, but also increments the set of rows and changes the number in the next 7 rows, then the next 8, etc,.

The first row contains headers which is why I started at row 2. What I also wanted was for the code to retain the number to be replaced as 6 in the 1st set of 6 rows (2-7), and increment the number by 1 in every set of 6 rows thereafter (change 6 to 7 in rows 8-13, change 6 to 8 in rows 14-19, etc,.)

How would I do that?

Thanks
Never mind, I've realised that I needed to change the range to A3 in both parts of the code below not just the first instance, to get the desired result, thank you for your help :)

VBA Code:
  myArray = Worksheets("All Data").Range("A3:G30").Formula

VBA Code:
  Worksheets("All Data").Range("A3").Resize(UBound(myArray, 1), UBound(myArray, 2)).Formula = myArray

Upvote 0
You are right. I do the math wrong. You won't increase the right hand side of the division ("/"). You must decrase left hand side:
VBA Code:
  Dim myArray As Variant
  Dim myRange As Range

replaceNum = 6

For i = 1 To UBound(myArray, 1)
    For j = 1 To UBound(myArray, 2)
        myArray(i, j) = Replace(myArray(i, j), "6", replaceNum + Int((i - 1) / 6))
      End If
    Next
  Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
You are right. I do the math wrong. You won't increase the right hand side of the division ("/"). You must decrase left hand side:
VBA Code:
  Dim myArray As Variant
  Dim myRange As Range

replaceNum = 6

End If
    Next
  Next

End Sub
Perfect, this also works as it should now!

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
  Dim myArray As Variant
  Dim myRange As Range

replaceNum = 6

End If
    Next
  Next

End Sub

I hope you can help me with this again. I have added another column (H) that contains the formula =IF(ISNUMBER($F2),IF('GLD'!$AJ$6=0, "", 'GLD'!$AJ$6),"")

I have changed the range in the script above from ("A2:G3001") to ("A2:H3001") as I need the script to apply the same amendments this column too. However, I need to differentiate between which instances of the number 6 should be changed by the script.

The number 2 in the IF(ISNUMBER($F2) part of the fomula increments every row, which I want to remain as is. I only want the script to make changes to the number 6 in the IF('GLD'!$AJ$6=0, "", 'GLD'!$AJ$6),"") part of the formula.

What changes should I make to the script above for this to work?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back