Source Files Not Consistent - Breaks Query

a68tbird

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All -
Looking for some clever suggestions on how to handle my situation. I have a report that gathers source data from a folder of invoices. I have a function that cleans and models the data in the invoice, and then I call that function in my main query. The problem is that the provider of the invoices changed the layout - they have changed the name of a column, and added a new column. This now breaks my query since my column headers will be all wrong. What is the best way to handle this so that my report can still model the data from old invoices, while recognizing the new layout.

Not sure if this will help or not, but here is my query:

Power Query:
let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\mycomputer\Billing - Documents"),
    FiltereXLSX = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Extension] = ".xlsx")),
    FilterYTD = Table.SelectRows(FiltereXLSX, each Date.IsInYearToDate([Date created])),
    RemoveColumns = Table.SelectColumns(FilterYTD,{"Folder Path", "Name"}),
    InvokeFunction = Table.AddColumn(RemoveColumns, "fxInvoice", each fxInvoice([Folder Path], [Name])),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(InvokeFunction, "fxInvoice", {"Handling Fees", "VAT", "Tax", "Shipping", "Country", "Order ID", "Order", "Date"}, {"Handling Fees", "VAT", "Tax", "Shipping", "Country", "Order ID", "Order", "Date"}),
    RemoveFolderNameCols = Table.RemoveColumns(Expand,{"Folder Path", "Name"}),
    ReorderColumns = Table.ReorderColumns(RemoveFolderNameCols,{"Date", "Order", "Order ID", "Country", "Handling Fees", "VAT", "Tax", "Shipping"}),
    AddTotalShipping = Table.AddColumn(ReorderColumns, "TotalShipping", each [Handling Fees]+[VAT]+[Tax]+[Shipping]),
    ChangeTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(AddTotalShipping,{{"Date", type date}, {"Order ID", Int64.Type}, {"Handling Fees", type number}, {"VAT", type number}, {"Tax", type number}, {"Shipping", type number}, {"TotalShipping", type number}})
in
    ChangeTypes

And here's the function:
Power Query:
(myPath,myFile) =>

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents(myPath&myFile), null, true),
    Orders_Sheet = Source{[Item="Orders",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    RemoveTopRows = Table.Skip(Orders_Sheet,2),
    PromoteHeaders = Table.PromoteHeaders(RemoveTopRows, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    FilterForNull = Table.SelectRows(PromoteHeaders, each ([Order ID] <> null)),
    ReplaceDash = Table.ReplaceValue(FilterForNull,"-","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Tax", "VAT"}),
    ChangeDataTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ReplaceDash,{{"Tax", type number}, {"VAT", type number}, {"Date", type date}, {"Products", type number}, {"Discount", type number}, {"Shipping", type number}, {"Digitization", type number}, {"Branding", type number}, {"Total", Currency.Type}, {"Order ID", Int64.Type}}),
    ReplaceNulls = Table.ReplaceValue(ChangeDataTypes,null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Tax", "VAT"}),
    AddFeeColumn = Table.AddColumn(ReplaceNulls, "Handling Fees", each [Total]-([Products]+[Discount]+[Shipping]+[Digitization]+[Branding]+[Tax]+[VAT]), type number),
    ReorderColumns = Table.ReorderColumns(AddFeeColumn,{"Date", "Order", "Order ID", "Country", "State", "Payment Instrument", "Status", "Products", "Discount", "Shipping", "Digitization", "Branding", "Tax", "VAT", "Handling Fees", "Total"}),
    RemoveColumns = Table.SelectColumns(ReorderColumns,{"Handling Fees", "VAT", "Tax", "Shipping", "Country", "Order ID", "Order", "Date"}),
    RoundNumbers = Table.TransformColumns(RemoveColumns,{{"Handling Fees", each Number.Round(_, 2), type number}})
in
    RoundNumbers

Am I going to have to create two separate functions and two aggregate queries - one for each type of invoice - and then merge the two queries? Hoping there may be a more eloquent way to do this.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Foresee all the column names in your function, but add MissingField.Ignore.
Query should not break.

Upvote 1
Solution
@GraH Wow! I had no idea this existed! MissingField.Ignore works perfectly, and with minimal update to the function code.

Thanks very much!

Upvote 0
Glad to read you we're able to follow the suggestion. It's such an event, where the UI let's us down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back