Sum error

nekthen

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet where the sum function returns the wrong answer. If I highlight the cell range the correct answer is displayed in the status bar. This only happens in columns W and X. Is there some new bug in Excel?

1711373087367.png

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
It is hard to say, as you have not shown us your sum formula, nor the data ranges it is looking at.
And we have no idea what columns and rows we are looking at based on your screen print.

But be careful NOT to include dates in your sum range, as dates are actually stored in Excel as numbers (specifically, the number of days since 1/0/1900).
So including cells with dates in them in your sum range would mess up your totals.

Upvote 0
It is hard to say, as you have not shown us your sum formula, nor the data ranges it is looking at.
And we have no idea what columns and rows we are looking at based on your screen print.

But be careful NOT to include dates in your sum range, as dates are actually stored in Excel as numbers (specifically, the number of days since 1/0/1900).
So including cells with dates in them in your sum range would mess up your totals.
I realise that the screen shot is not ideal, but I cannot install any software like xlsbb.
I have had other people look at this and I am not a novice.

The value dispaying 24457 is a sum on the same range as the sum value at the bottom 22680
I have independently confirmed that this is the correct value.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a bug - I think you may be including something that you are not aware of, or your SUM formula is including more than you think.
(If there was a bug, I think it would be a pretty big thing, and widely known - I have used 365 for years and have never had an issue with the SUM function).

Can you at least show us the exact formula you are using, and screen prints of the of the sheet where the data and end the end, where the data ends?
Be sure we can see the row and column headers in those screen prints.

Your other option would be to upload a copy of the file to a file sharing site (like StopBox, OneDrive, etc) and provide a link to it so we can download a copy, and view your issue firsthand.
Just be sure to remove any sensitive data first if you go that route.

Upvote 0
Do you have any hidden rows?

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back