SUMIF help

pilotbook

Hello!

For the past year or so I've been building up a logbook for flying which totals up all my different type of times (Just incase my logbook goes missing)

Lately i've been playing around with it and adding new features like how much time I have on each aircraft and various other things (on top of this, I have been making it user friendly so I could just hand it to people and it would just work for them and the only thing they'd need to ever do is add new row - This is an important aspect for my problem I present thee)

Now I would like Excel to tell me if I am current on an aircraft or not, or If I am Instrument Current (allows me to fly through clouds).

The instrument currency side is fairly easy as that is 3 approaches and 3 hours every 90 days (It is not Aircraft type dependent) and is the basis for working out if I'm current on aircraft type (i.e. it will be the same coding but with out the Aircraft type search)

The problem I'm having is with the currency on different types of aircraft.

I've tried using the SUMIF formula and it sort of works, and sort of doesn't.

=SUMIF('Pilots Log'!$A$11:$A$272,"******",'Pilots Log'!$AA$11:$AA$272)

Where A11-A272 is the date viewed as Month(mmmm) but has an actual Day() value. AA11 - AA272 is a column where I enter how many takeoffs I have done for each flight (eventually I will need to incorporate landings and having it search for aircraft type (as currency is associated with aircraft type) - bear this in mind as my approach may not work for including this)

Where the **** is where I am having the problem. Ideally I would like to have >=TODAY()-90 (I have to do 3 takes offs and 3 landings on aircraft type to remain current per 90 days). However it doesn't allow for this, so I tried placing =Today()-90 in a separate cell Call it X1, and then using >=X1 but it doesn't allow for this, how ever I COULD place >=40378 (Which is what X1 happens to equal today), or I could Place just X1 without the >= and it would give me the total takeoffs for that associated value.

So, my question is, how do I get around this? Originally I had a column which was =TODAY()-Date code for a particular Day and I could have the SUMIF formula running down that column instead of the Date Column and just say <=90 (less than because its Todays date - Date for a certain day), but I am wishing to make this user friendly and having this column does not allow for this as when you add a new row (for a new flight entry) you would then need to make allowances for this - I know I could use Macros but they don't always seem to play nicely when changing to a different OS like PC to MAC

Sorry for the Essay! I'm new to playing around in Excel so any help would be appreciated! If pictures, or a copy of the actual file is needed just let me know!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Try

=SUMIF('Pilots Log'!$A$11:$A$272,">="&today()-90,'Pilots Log'!$AA$11:$AA$272)

Upvote 0
From what I can see you are very close. I would normally put the volatile formula =TODAY()-90 in a separate cell and refer to that as you have tried. I have done this in one sheet but if it does what you want, easy to put this on another sheet.

Excel Workbook
AAAABACAD
10DateNo
115/05/20101Today - 9019/07/2010
1218/05/20102SUM18
1331/05/20103
1413/06/20102
1526/06/20101
169/07/20102
1722/07/20103
184/08/20102
1917/08/20101
2030/08/20104
2112/09/20102
2225/09/20104
238/10/20102
Pilots Log

Edit: Hadn't initially seen Jason's response, or yours.

Upvote 0
Wow thanks, you guys really help around here.

Now taking this

=SUMIF('Pilots Log'!$A$11:$A$272,">="&TODAY()-90,'Pilots Log'!$AA$11:$AA$272)

What would be the most efficient way for it to include Aircraft type?

hu5kn5uh.png

[Under the currency title is eventually where I'll test the number the formula gives me by aircraft type to tell if I'm current and return "Current" or "Not Current", so you can ignore the 7's and the 0's, they're just there so I don't lose formulas]

Currently it searches for Hours on type by this

=SUMIF('Pilots Log'!$C$11:$C$272,A6,'Pilots Log'!$H$11:$K$272) + a million other SUMIFS for the different 'types' of hours

A6 refers to Aircraft Type "7GCBC" like in the picture and the 'Pilots Log' is the sheet of my actual log book with Aircraft Type being down the 'C' Column.

I was going to try a whole lot of IF statements but I presume that would be quite inefficient?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back