S
Power Query:
ummarize:=CALCULATE (

[Total sales M],

FILTER (

SUMMARIZE ( Sales, Customer[Customer], 'Product'[Product] ),

Customer[Customer] = "tom"

&& 'Product'[Product] = "a" ) )

My question is why don't I need to use keepfilter to create an 'AND' operation with the external filter context, if I replace summarize with crossjoin, then wrapping in keepfilter would be needed to achieve this, is it to do with what is being sent to CALCULATE?

Richard.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You don’t need summarize, or crossjoin. DAX is not SQL. Normally you do not need to recreate these filtered projected tables to do your calculations.

summarize :=
CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
Customer[Customer] = "tom",
'Product'[Product] = "a"
)

Upvote 0
You don’t need summarize, or crossjoin. DAX is not SQL. Normally you do not need to recreate these filtered projected tables to do your calculations.

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
Customer[Customer] = "tom",
'Product'[Product] = "a"
)
Hello Matt,
Two , well three things, one the above does not see the external filter context, so I get the correct result but for every customer / product
, second it can only be used as an "AND" not "OR" but if I use make a virtual crossjoined table then you can use either,
lastly I was more interested in why the Summarize recognize the external context without the use of keepfilter?
as you can see below the summarize works fine but has no keepfilter.
Richard.

1654951078010.png

Upvote 0
1. Yes it does, it is just that it is removed by the hidden ALL. The full syntax is as follows

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
FILTER(ALL(Customer[Customer]),Customer[Customer] = "tom"),
FILTER(ALL(Product[Product]),'Product'[Product] = "a")
)

the one I posted is short hand for the one above. The initial filter is removed by the ALL. You can change the behaviour in at least 2 ways

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
KEEPFILTERS(Customer[Customer] = "tom"),
KEEPFILTERS('Product'[Product] = "a")
)

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
FILTER(VALUES(Customer[Customer]),Customer[Customer] = "tom"),
FILTER(VALUES(Product[Product]),'Product'[Product] = "a")
)

2. It is possible to do OR over 2 columns by using UNION. I’m not saying it’s simple, just that it can be done.

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
DISTINCT(
UNION(FILTER(ALL(Customer[Customer]),Customer[Customer] = "tom"),
FILTER(ALL(Product[Product]),'Product'[Product] = "a")))
)

The distinct is needed because Union == Unionall in SQL

3.SUMMARIZE is effectively “expanded tables”. Filters therefore are always embedded implicity in a summarize function. You can read my (long) article here. I cover expanded tables towards the bottom. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/many-many-relationships-dax-explained/

Upvote 0
1. Yes it does, it is just that it is removed by the hidden ALL. The full syntax is as follows

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

the one I posted is short hand for the one above. The initial filter is removed by the ALL. You can change the behaviour in at least 2 ways

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

2. It is possible to do OR over 2 columns by using UNION. I’m not saying it’s simple, just that it can be done.

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
DISTINCT(
)

3.SUMMARIZE is effectively “expanded tables”. Filters therefore are always embedded implicity in a summarize function. You can read my (long) article here. I cover expanded tables towards the bottom. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/many-many-relationships-dax-explained/
Thank you Matt,
I'll certainly read the article,
I've put
Excel Formula:
EVALUATE
DISTINCT (
    UNION (
        FILTER ( ALL ( Customer[Customer] ), Customer[Customer] = "tom" ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( Product[Product] ), 'Product'[Product] = "a" )
    )
)
into Studio, and get back a two row table, is that what causes the "OR", as opposed two column equaling 'AND' just guessing
from using 'advanced filter' in excel. As yes i haven't been able to make it work in the actual table, will persevere, I first saw the crossjoin being used in an sqlbi video, can you see any disadvantages to using crossjoin? I did time it against two Keepfilters, in studio over a data set of some 21000 rows and there was no great difference.

Richard.

Upvote 0

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
)

CALCULATE (
[Total sales M],
DISTINCT(
)

Just following up from my previous response, well I've got a result but doesn't seem to be correct?
the table below if filtered for 'a' and tom? I've put the crossjoin in for comparison, there's also a obscured value in '****' 'b".
Richard
1655059433737.png

Upvote 0
Yeah, my bad on the UNION table. Sorry about that. You can't union 2 different tables together like this. The summarize version should work, however.

Upvote 0
Solution
Yeah, my bad on the UNION table. Sorry about that. You can't union 2 different tables together like this. The summarize version should work, however.
Thank, for the letting me know, I spend quite bit of time trying to decide if something is not possible or if I'm doing somthing wrong, usually the latter.

RD

Upvote 0
Just to add thanks for the blog on calculated columns, I was talked out of these on EX forum quite early on but still like to know how they work.
I started using DAX studio about a week ago and find it very good for trying to understand how things work.
RD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back